Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow Walther enthusiasts!

I recently purchased the three volume series on the Walther PP/PPK/et. al., by author James Rankin, in order to see if I could match my features or serial number range to the book.

A close enough SN is not there. There are 76X's but no 777.

Here are some features my gun has (1932 by SN check) that I have not seen anywhere else:

1) 90 degree safety with NO COLOR on dot (from factory).

2) 'MADE IN GERMANY' on absolute bottom margin of left grip panel (from factory).

3) Magazine with black finger extension with NO WALTHER BANNER, no markings of any kind (from factory).

4) Single Proof, 'Crown over N' Right side, slide ONLY, no other proofs.

5) Serial number in downward position (777 nearest to slide, last three toward the bottom). Serial number engraving matches other PP's in Rankin's book. Alternate directions are mentioned but I saw no examples in my SN range.

My serial number is a '777xxx'. I'm wondering if anyone else has any of these features near this serial number range. Gun is all original, no work or parts replaced, near mint (99%+).

I will post pictures of my pistol soon showing these features.

Thank you for your input!

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Here are some features my gun has (1932 by SN check) that I have not seen anywhere else:
2) 'MADE IN GERMANY' on absolute bottom margin of left grip panel (from factory).
This feature is easy to explain. These grips are the post-war types. The "Made in Germany" on the bottom margin appeared in the late Sixities. The pre-war grips feature the Walther banner with the tall letters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If that's the case on the grips, I'm not sure why they would have been changed to newer ones when the pistol is obviously in mint condition... same with the magazine extension/magazine. That sounds pretty unusual. It's a two owner gun, only fired once by the first owner, the second owner whom I bought it from never fired it at all.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nice gun, but the slide appears to have been refinished/re-blued.
The slide has a much higher finish than the frame.
There appears to be pitting under the blue at the muzzle?
The red fire dot was removed during the refinish.
But nice nevertheless.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Could you please show a photo of the markings of the magazine and a photo of the plastic extention from the bottom?

Also, could you please remove the slide and post a shot of the bottom of the slide so we can see how the firing pin area is machined?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The finish on the gun is uniform throughout, the photos just don't show it well.
The gun has not been re-blued.

I will post the pictures you asked for Milspec when I get a chance.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Agreed likey a reblue of slide, but done very well and grips are post war. I see the crown over N on the slide but can't make out if there's one on the barrel hood at the ejection port. Even if all the color had been worn off the safety dot there should be some residue present.

An easy way to deternine the if it's reblued is this: the slide crown over N proof mark orginally was stuck after the pistol was blued. If the finish is original then with a loop you'll see some of the bluing was removed and some bare steel exposed in the mark. If a reblue, it will be consistent bluing like the Walther roll mark and serial number no bare steel will be seen.

Regarding the mag, I believe during this period the correct marking should be a Walther banner only, but a photo could help determine what you'll got. I've heard some early ones 1930 could have been unmarked. The type finger extension will also tell the story.

Regardless, still a great pistol and congratulations.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Here is my 1930 PP. It obviously has been refinished and has an aftermarket magazine. But I still love it.

IMG_3331.JPG IMG_3332.JPG IMG_3330.JPG

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here is my 1930 PP. It obviously has been refinished and has an aftermarket magazine. But I still love it.
Very nice. One thing I've always wondered about were the finger extension variations. I've seen Walther literature from the 30's showing the finger extension style like you have. I've never seen an original just the TripleK (?) ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I spoke to the person I bought the gun from, after inspecting the gun very closely, to let him know that the person that he originally bought it from told him some stories.

So far we have found out that:

1. The gun HAS been re-blued, though expertly done. (Proof Mark is blued, not struck through)
2. The gun does not possess its original grips. (Banner Size, Made in Germany Marking)
3. The gun probably does not possess its original magazine(s). (No identifying marks, though age and build appear similar)
4. The gun has been expertly re-barreled. (New information from seller, plus, only one mark from recoil spring removal/installation)
5. The safety/fire marking was probably lost in re-bluing. (Assumed)

I will post more photos of the interior of the gun and the magazine soon, I'd like to know as much about the rest of the gun as possible.

Thank you everyone for all of your expertise and ideas!

-Justin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts