Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
205 Posts
Hey all,

Looking at a PDP compact 5" that has serial starting FDH. Is this a 1.0?

Thanks!
From a prior thread…

“PDP New Style Optic Cut (Serial Numbers Start with: FDL9203, FDM0001, FDN3124)”

So, an FDHxxxx would be a Gen 1.

·
Registered
115 Posts
dang dang dang.

Welp, Gritsport was kind enough to send pics of their PDP 5" compact that is currently lowest on gun.deals. FYI, it's 1.0.

Stupid Walther. Change the dang SKU.
I don't consider my 5" Compact PDP shown below with it's "1.0" ver. optic cut to be any less reliable or worthy of ownership simply because it doesn't have the "2.0" ver. optic cut. If the 1.0 version wasn't long enough to allow the installation of a brand X model Z optic I could see the issue, otherwise it's really of no consequence whatsoever that your PDP has the 1.0 optic slide cut.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had no issues doing one handed manipulations with my version 1 slide cut pdp. Its a duty pistol and has not lost zero or moved in the slightest. If version 2 is available by all means get it. But don't stress if version 1 is all you can get.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm guessing it is more of a "resale value" issue for the OP more than a functional one???
Yes. If Walther slims down the PDP slide at some point, I'd be out of the PDP game in a second. Just bought a Q5 SF yesterday since I can see staying power there. Grip on the SF made the PDP, so if Walther updates the Q5 to a PDP slide, I'd hate that one too.

Got it before Walther does that :)

Really. I would do a 5" compact, but the all seem to be old stock (honest guess it's less sought after).

·
Administrator
3,394 Posts
Yes. If Walther slims down the PDP slide at some point, I'd be out of the PDP game in a second. Just bought a Q5 SF yesterday since I can see staying power there. Grip on the SF made the PDP, so if Walther updates the Q5 to a PDP slide, I'd hate that one too.

Got it before Walther does that :)

Really. I would do a 5" compact, but the all seem to be old stock (honest guess it's less sought after).
If you ever get a chance to shoot a PDP F-Series with the 3.5" barrel, I think you'd like it.

You've mentioned you have smaller hands and the F-Series is great for that.

In the 3.5" version, the bulk of the slide is way less noticeable as...there is less slide.

Walther did a great job on that gun. I think you'd enjoy shooting it.

·
Administrator
3,394 Posts
Without interest in a red dot, the PDP doesn't bring enough to make up for the slide size.

Lame.
I know you don't like the PDP slide. That is your choice. So be it.

The point I'm trying to make is the F Series, due to the reshaping of the grip, is a different shooting experience than any PPQ or PDP before it.

I can see many people, men and woman alike, shooting the F Series better than they shoot the PPQ and standard PDP.

This is particularly true for those with smaller hands.

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
205 Posts
If you ever get a chance to shoot a PDP F-Series with the 3.5" barrel, I think you'd like it.

You've mentioned you have smaller hands and the F-Series is great for that.

In the 3.5" version, the bulk of the slide is way less noticeable as...there is less slide.

Walther did a great job on that gun. I think you'd enjoy shooting it.
Isn‘t the F-Series slide also a little more streamlined than the regular PDP slide with more rounded “shoulders”?

·
Registered
285 Posts
My friend has the 5" Compact and couldn't be happier. I have the 4" Compact and am the same way. Both are "series 1" slides and neither of us have had the first problem with our red dot mounts. I can understand the desire to own the "improved" "series 2" slide, especially for possible resale value down the road. OTOH, the dire predictions that the red dot mounts would loosen and fly off of "series 1" slides simply hasn't happened. Walther, no doubt in response to those hand wringing Nervous Nellies, has "improved" the red dot mounting plate cut in spite of zero evidence that the original design is flawed. IMO it was a wise business decision for future sales although it likely has upset some who own a "series 1" PDP. Me? I'm really not concerned.

·
Administrator
3,394 Posts
Isn‘t the F-Series slide also a little more streamlined than the regular PDP slide with more rounded “shoulders”?
I don't think that's true. When I compare my 4", 4.5" and 5" slides to my F-Series 3.5" I don't see a difference in contour.

I know that some have speculated about it but comparing the two side by side, I am not seeing it.

The absolute width of the PDP slide is no thicker than the PPQ and P99 slides. It is bulkier though as it does not taper toward the top like the P99 and PPQ slides do.

The F-Series is noticeably easier to rack though which will be important to some.

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
205 Posts
I don't think that's true. When I compare my 4", 4.5" and 5" slides to my F-Series 3.5" I don't see a difference in contour.

I know that some have speculated about it but comparing the two side by side, I am not seeing it.

The absolute width of the PDP slide is no thicker than the PPQ and P99 slides. It is bulkier though as it does not taper toward the top like the P99 and PPQ slides do.

The F-Series is noticeably easier to rack though which will be important to some.
Well, you have both in front of you and I only have a standard PDP so you should know.

But, take a look at this thread.

·
Administrator
3,394 Posts
Well, you have both in front of you and I only have a standard PDP so you should know.

But, take a look at this thread.
I remember that thread so I was surprised when I compared them side by side.

I can do so again to be sure but I don't think there is any difference in contour.

The photos that purport to show a difference can probably be attributed to lighting and shadow.

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
205 Posts
I remember that thread so I was surprised when I compared them side by side.

I can do so again to be sure but I don't think there is any difference in contour.

The photos that purport to show a difference can probably be attributed to lighting and shadow.
Looking again I agree with you that differences in lighting, and the angle of the shot, caused the F series slide to look a little more rounded. Those older images were from handgunhero and recently they seem to have gotten better photos of the F variant.

But in the very first post the OP states, "I just picked up a PDP F series 3.5 and here are my observations compared to my PDP FS. A more rounded slide at the top, easier to rack, more trigger guard room, less take up, a little heavier trigger. (IMO)"

And presumably he had both pistols in his hands???

Not that I'm losing any sleep over this and if they're the same that's fine by me. I just find it a little strange. o_O

·
Administrator
3,394 Posts
Looking again I agree with you that differences in lighting, and the angle of the shot, caused the F series slide to look a little more rounded. Those older images were from handgunhero and recently they seem to have gotten better photos of the F variant.

But in the very first post the OP states, "I just picked up a PDP F series 3.5 and here are my observations compared to my PDP FS. A more rounded slide at the top, easier to rack, more trigger guard room, less take up, a little heavier trigger. (IMO)"

And presumably he had both pistols in his hands???

Not that I'm losing any sleep over this and if they're the same that's fine by me. I just find it a little strange. o_O
I don't know what to say about that.

When I compared them, I wanted to see a difference but didn't.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts