Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this is a loaded question, but here goes.

If you had to pick one aspect of your P99 that sets it apart from all the rest of the guns that you own or have ever owned, what would it be? What makes this your favorite gun?

Or, in other words, if you were selling it to someone what would be your #1 selling piont?

I chose the P99 because it was so comfortable, and fit my large hands well. I held and shot several other guns before I picked the P99 including the HK P2000, HK USP, Sig P220 and a Beretta 96. I have no regrets.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Although its not my favorite, the P99's grip is awesome, it points well and is very accurate. It's built tough, and is a great carry weapon.

p.s. my favorite handgun is either a P88 or a PPK. I'm still debating which. The P99 is right up there with them, but just slightly edged out by these other two.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It wasn't just one thing that sold me on a P99:

High magazine capacity.
Light weight
Low slide height.
Relatively compact.
Striker fired with double strike capabilities.
Trigger system. (the original or the AS model)
Simplistic design.
Free of external safeties and snags.
Reliability.
Point ability and accuracy.
Comfort and looks.

I think that about covers it.

These all add up to one fine firearm!

·
Registered
11 Posts
What Hal8000 said.

I'd add the ambi mag release and the decocker. On a different note, I like the way the pistol seems to have been thought out and the concept of it's design.

But that's not really answering the question.

Obviously we are sold on the entire package. If the pistol only excelled a one or two things on the list, then we'd all likely have other favorites. So, If I think about the question in the reverse it goes like this. What one feature if was altered toward the worse would make me abandon this as my favorite pistol. For me it's the trigger.

I fell in love with the ergonomics. Fit in the hand and pointability.

Grew attached to the mag release (I shoot IDPA, lots of reloads on the clock)

Then ultimately I just shoot it better (mostly the trigger).

Currently, I'm switching gears and shooting a P16 in competition(IDPA and USPSA). But, my p99 is not going to the safe, it's going to my carry gun. Ask me this question in 6 months and my favorite think may be the compactness or the light weight, or the 16+1 that it carries.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think Hal8000 and Akanotken have about covered it. To me, it all adds up to one thing: functionality. My P99 is more functional than any other gun I own. It's hard to say what gives it the margin...ergonomics, trigger, design. In the end, it's the best gun for the job. Period.

Jim

·
Registered
160 Posts
1) The mag release is integrated to the trigger guard and is impossible to accidently hit it during a CCW situation and drop a mag.  e.g-Holding the Glock 26 I had to figure away to not hit the mag release.
2) Decocker integrated to slide eliminated levers or buttons on side of gun that add to width helping to reduce snags and increase concealability.
3) Holding the gun was what caught my attention.  Two extra back straps to improve this grip more is even better.
4) Tennifer finish, same as Glock, is one of the best in the business.

I have more but these are the highlights.  Sorry but I couldn't just specify one

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know exactly what you guys mean. Its a great gun, and very hard to just point out one particular thing. I agree with akanotken, It would have been easier to inverse the question. But, I said it would be a loaded question.

So, lets try it akanotken's way. What aspect of the gun, if Walther were to change it, would make you not like the gun as much.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My number one selling point is that it is a Walther.  There are not many if any firearms manufacturers with as high of quality control.  The P99 has had its problems, but it is Walthers first attempt at a high quality, yet very reasonably priced hand gun.  I don't thing you can get a better value for the money spent in today's market.

**Note, the above statement only applies to Walthers manufactured and assembled in Ulm, Germany**

·
Registered
186 Posts
I like the looks of the P99 but haven't fired one yet. I am a huge fan of the Springfield XD line both in looks and quality. I've shot Sig 226 and 228 and I can honestly say that I shoot more accurately with the XD. maybe I would with a Sig if I shot one once a week like I do with my XD but who really knows.

I love the XD.
Chris Cahill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts