Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems to be fairly common nowadays for fast draw advocates to declare that their way of doing things is the BEST way. They also seem to think that drawing a gun is inevitable and there is just no way to avoid it. I don't know how this attitude has cropped up. Perhaps it's all the firearms competitions and training classes that lead people to believe that a fast draw and "getting the first shot off" are the only way to win...or survive in this world. Whatever the reason for this attitude, I thought it might be productive to look at alternatives to being Doc Holliday or Matt Dillon. :D

Situational awareness...this is something that fighter pilots practice on a regular basis. It means being fully aware of your surroundings. Unfortunately, the average citizen almost NEVER has situational awareness until it is too late. In this day and age of high crime rates and human life being relatively meaningless, it's VERY important to have situational awareness. You should know EXACTLY what is going on around you from the time you open your front door to the time you close it on return to your home. And even inside your home you should have at least a familiarization with where certain things are located and a plan on what to do if the SHTF at your castle.
Most everyone who has lived in an area for more than a year knows where the "bad part of town" is. And if they have common sense, they stay away from that area. But some towns the bad part of town is the WHOLE town, or the bad part of town is at various locations spread out all over town.
So what to do...if you live in a shithole city (you all know which ones they are) and the whole place is like Baghdad on an "exciting" day, then you are gonna need to walk around with your SA at maximum alert all the time. Stressful? You bet!!! Suggestions? Buy a bullet proof vest and wear it at all times. And carry something with a high capacity mag in calibers .40 and above. Or move the hell out of Dodge at your first opportunity.

For those who don't live in cesspool cities, there is more hope of survival.
The best suggestion I can give is to use the 5 W's and an H. Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How many. Danger areas in smaller towns include shopping plaza and mall parking lots, work parking lots, Convenience Stores, and just about any area (which could BE "any area") where lowlifes might target you for a crime. When you pull in to a Wallyworld parking lot to get a deal on your favorite ammo, you can do a number of things to reduce your chances of being robbed, assaulted, carjacked, etc.

#1 If you shop at night, park in a well lit area. Criminals hate to be lit up.

#2 Park close to the front door. Less time walking out in the lot means less chance of being a target.

#3 When you park, LOOK AROUND YOU. See if there are groups of thugs "hanging out" in the route you need to walk to the store. If there are, look for a different parking space.

#4 When you walk to the entrance keep looking around you. DON'T look scared or panicy, just look confident and take in as much of your surroundings as possible.

#5 If you don't like the way things look as far as going into the store, ask yourself if you REALLY need to go at this time and is what you need to buy really that essential? If the answer is no, drive away and come back later or the next day. Shooting someone is a real PITA and if you are able to avoid doing so, it will save you a lot of hassle.

#6 If you REALLY need to go into the store (like for an emergency medical prescription that HAS to be filled immediately), then slip that little hand cannon out of the holster and into your jacket pocket and keep one finger curled around the trigger. Why screw around with "quick draw" BS when you can have the gun ready for immediate action?? If needs be, you don't even have to pull it out of your pocket. So what if you shoot a hole in your jacket? Better than being DEAD because you fumbled with the draw!!

#7 Don't let anyone "walk up on you". Especially if it's more than one. If there is a group of assholes standing around your car when you are exiting the store, go back in the store and call 911. Cops get PAID to "serve and protect". Make them earn their money. If some scumbag pops out of nowhere and is right up on you, don't hesitate to take a few steps back, draw your gun and point it right at him. Tell him (loudly/commandingly) in the most forceful/convincing voice you can muster "I am armed and I know how to use this. Get the FU** away from me". 99% of the time the guy will shit his pants and leave. Do NOT say "leave or I'll shoot you". Don't give them a choice. Don't ask or plead with him to leave. That just shows you AREN'T ready to shoot. Tell them what you definitelty WILL do, and not what you MIGHT do.

Common sense...it's amazing how short the supply of common sense is in folks today. They seem to just blindly go about their daily activities without even giving the slightest thought that they might be a victim of a crime. :(

I'm sure many guys can add to what I posted, please feel free to do so.
And I'm sure, as on every other forum, some nitwit will say "I'm not gonna be intimidated or let some asshole criminal push me around in my own town".
Just remember that those guys are big talkers, but it's easy to talk big on a forum. Most times those are the first guys to pee their pants WTSHTF.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good post Deputy. Lots of good points to be considered.

While being able to present the pistol quickly and accurately is important, you can't draw fast enough to beat a gun that is already pointed at you. You must buy yourself time and distance by seeing the threat coming, and moving in a manner that takes you off the "X".

Whether that movement is to get back in your vehicle and leave the area entirely, or if you are in a confined area, putting a large heavy object (vehicle, furniture, etc) between you and the attacker you must be aware of your surroundings, both to see the threat coming, and to plan your movement to safety.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Hear hear: +1 on Deputy's post. One of the best things about belonging to a forum like this one is the wide range of experienced advice that is offered free of charge to everyone with an open mind and a willingness to learn and grow. Most of us will never be in a gunfight, thank god, and can only rely on the observations and experiences of those who have (and are articulate enough to get their points across clearly), or on those who were trained for such a moment. Veterans and LEOs are fabulous resources, as is demonstrated here by Deputy, who happens to have both military and law enforcement experience.

The seven points listed here are top-notch. A printout is going on the refrigerator at home, with a copy sent to my son and daughter and a variety of close friends.

Salute

·
Registered
58 Posts
i couldn't agree with the deputy any more than I do. Most of this is all common sense and practicality if you want to avoid any life threatening situation in 99% chance. the 1% chance you get into that situation, being alert keeps you another 80% chance of winning.

Growing up many years ago my father always used to show people in his surroundings he's watching them and I always thought he was crazy for letting them know he makes direct eye contact with everyone who seems suspicious. (when a car was parked in front of the house and looked supsicious he would open the door and make obvious he seems them showing he's making a visual and detailing the suspect) As a young one I thought always to be sneaky and not let them know I can see them.

He followed most of what the Dep covered and to this day never encountered a situation where he was at a disadvantage. Twice he did get into the 1% chance I mentioned and made it through without bodily harm to both parties.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Dep - great info - thank you for taking the time to share this with us! One of my rules is to always keep my strong hand empty & free - no packages or even keys.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Great post, but i'll disagree with one point:

#6 If you REALLY need to go into the store (like for an emergency medical prescription that HAS to be filled immediately), then slip that little hand cannon out of the holster and into your jacket pocket and keep one finger curled around the trigger.

Dont put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to pull it. What if the store just mopped and you slip in wet spot? What if a child runs to the register and bumps you in the back accidentally?

It doesn't take much effort to go from indexed to pull. Follow all the 4 rules, all the time.

thorn

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Great post, but i'll disagree with one point:

#6 If you REALLY need to go into the store (like for an emergency medical prescription that HAS to be filled immediately), then slip that little hand cannon out of the holster and into your jacket pocket and keep one finger curled around the trigger.

Dont put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to pull it. What if the store just mopped and you slip in wet spot? What if a child runs to the register and bumps you in the back accidentally?

It doesn't take much effort to go from indexed to pull. Follow all the 4 rules, all the time.

thorn
#6 Was based on a worse case scenario where the situation in #5 was present and the liklihood of being in a bad situation walking into the store was present already. It was NOT meant for someone INSIDE the store. In a case of walking to a store, I think that having the finger inside the triggerguard is a reasonable precaution. Things can happen VERY fast in an emergency situation of this type, and the brain sometimes hesitates too long. I'd rather have my finger ON the trigger, than MAYBE get it hung up on the lining inside the pocket. Of course, it's your own personal choice. ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
This talk of pocket carry, drives me to endorse the S&W hammerless models, while not Walther's, nothing is as clean on the draw or reliable.

With a slick action and alot of practice one could enter ANY store - if you really had too!!! ;)

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Dep,

If I was firing from a trouser pocket I wouldn't want to tempt "Murphy" by shooting off a revolver quite so close to my "innocent bystanders".

Besides "jumbo" pants cost an extra $2 at Wallyworld!!!

;)

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dep,

If I was firing from a trouser pocket I wouldn't want to tempt "Murphy" by shooting off a revolver quite so close to my "innocent bystanders".

Besides "jumbo" pants cost an extra $2 at Wallyworld!!!

;)
"...slip that little hand cannon out of the holster and into your jacket pocket..."

I would NEVER suggest anyone pop off a round so close to Mr. Johnson!! :eek: :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts