Walther Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hmmm, I wonder, if military authorities are always honest when telling you what happened to one of yours. If only one leg was recovered, what body was buried and later exhumed and returned to the States? Not to mention the "slight wound" leading to his "later death in hospital".
Yes, you are right, I mixed up Garden City and Castle Garden. Sorry!
It will be interesting to learn, what you can find out,
Best wishes, Dieter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thank you Dieter,
I will continue any further discussion via e-mail.
Just a Note, I think you meant Castle Garden not Garden City. Castle Garden was where immigration occurred before Ellis Island. It is at the very tip of Manhatten. Garden City is located out on Long Island and is pretty well land locked.
Easy mix up to make.
I am anxious to see what you find on your Great Grandfather.
Seems we all have our mysteries to solve.
I have a brother that was killed in the battle for "Brest" in Brittany France. If you are familiar you know it was a particularly difficult engagement. He was originally reported as "slightly wounded". Next word was that he died in a hospital from his wounds. Originally he was interred in a cemetery in Brittany. Later he was exhumed and returned to the States where there was a military funeral. We have always traveled to Athol, MA to visit the grave and decorate it on Memorial Day. Been doing that for many years with my Dad when he was alive and for many years since his passing. My Dad and my Grandfather are buried on the same site. Just two years ago I was reading a book written by a pretty well respected military historian. The title is, " From Beachhead to Brittany". Right there in his book he mentions my brother by name and rank. He recounts that my brother was initially listed as MIA because all that was recovered was his wallet and a leg. Then makes the statement that he was never found! You can imagine my utter surprise and disbelief. I contacted the author and he stands by his research and it's accuracy. He said that all of his information comes from official military records and documents.
That is another mystery I am trying to solve.
Very sad that this uncertainty exists after all these years. I hope that you find some measure of closure.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yes, but after all these years many documents were lost - mostly by wars. Between 1650 and 1945 there were five wars alone in the area where my family comes from! Best wishes, Dieter.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts