Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is gonna make a lot of you shake your heads, and I'll deserve it, but I need some advice nonetheless. I carry a stainless steel Interarms PPK/s in a leather belt slide holster on me everyday, unless at work or where prohibited. To make a long story short, the holstered gun was in my jacket pocket when I was taking my laundry in, and it fell out into the snow. I'm amazingly blessed that it didn't hit at just that right angle, and that nothing tragic happened. It was a stupid move on my part, and it will never happen again. When I got inside, I immediately wiped all visible snow off the gun, field-stripped it, and brushed all the metal I could get to with an oil-saturated brush. After that I used a cloth patch to rub the oil in and soak up the excess, then oiled the usual friction points and put it back together. My question, then, is this; are there more steps to take to ensure I don't get any rust, or have I covered my bases? Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
take off the grips to make sure nothing is under the grips....
also I think it might help to lay it stripped in front of a heater vent just to make sure all the water (snow) will evaporize.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
will not rust from water alone, and if properly passivated, can go through a dishwasher like your flatware.

If the gun had been blued, I would recommend the lazy thing: pop off the grips and drop the gun into a gallon can of WD40 for a few minutes, then blow out with compressed air. Put grips back on. End of remedy.

M

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
You're already done more than enough. 416 Stainless will not rust from fresh water alone, and if properly passivated, can go through a dishwasher like your flatware.

If the gun had been blued, I would recommend the lazy thing: pop off the grips and drop the gun into a gallon can of WD40 for a few minutes, then blow out with compressed air. Put grips back on. End of remedy.

M
My first line got clipped off somehow.

M

·
Registered
529 Posts
I also think you will be OK.
Another product that is great for making sure all the water is off your gun and out of the smallest crevaces, is Varsol. Grips should be taken off the gun, drop the gun in the Varsol, let it soak for awhile, and dry with compressed air.

Many years ago I spilled a large glass of iced tea on my SIG P220 when it was in the top drawer of my nightstand. The Varsol worked great, no gunk left in the pistol, no mechanical problems and no loss of finish. Just a product to keep in mind if needed.

·
Registered
529 Posts
BTW: MOST people who handle or carry guns on a daily basis have dropped the weapon at least one time. I know there are guys out there that this has not happened to, but I bet most of us have done this. Don't beat yourself up about it! This could have ended a LOT worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses, I guess I'm in the clear then. I guess I was worried because I don't know if the internals are all stainless too, but it sounds like I'm covered. And yeah, I suppose everyone who carries will drop their piece once, I just want to make sure I do my best to make it the last time. Just freaked me out a little, that's all. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keeper,

I wouldn't beat yourself up on this one because stuff happens when you carry every day. I wish I could count the time my standard issue parkerized 1911 got soaked in rain, or dowsed by salt water when boarding a vessel. I would strip it, rinse in fresh water if I took on salt water, blow it dry, oil as necessary, and re-assemble. I still have that .45 after 30+ years and there's not a speck of rust on it. Stainless is even more resistant.

I carry my stainless PPK every day under my shirt and it commonly gets wet from perspiration or condensation. I strip and clean it on a daily basis in the hot south Texas summers. No rust yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts