Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up Walther PP 7.65. stamped made in W.GERMANY on slide...Beautiful pistol..havent shot it yet...but having trouble getting it to lock open with empty magazine in...takes 2 or 3 times before it will....I was told it was the mag release button .....What to do.?...clean /Oil it real good..or do you think should be given to gunsmith .?...I dont want to mess it up..I Appreciate any advice on this.....Thanks..Hans Fischer

·
Registered
592 Posts
Disassemble and clean the magazines. MGMike has a very good post on cleaning mags. I can't find his old post, but after I clean out the inside of the magazine housing and clean the follower, I put a tiny dab of gun grease on the legs of the follower.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
....I was told it was the mag release button .....What to do.?...
Ignore that advice.

While looking through the ejection port, retract the slide and watch to see if the magazine follower is lifting the ejector high enough to engage the slide. If nothing else, you'll learn how it works.

A dirty magazine is the most likely culprit. After that, a chewed-up magazine follower --at the point where it engages the underside of the ejector --or a worn, rounded-off corner of the breech face inside the slide.

If you don't have enough strength to pull the slide back slowly while looking at it sideways, remove the recoil spring first.

(Speaking of recoil springs, have you installed a new, heavier spring? If so, that also might be the problem. The recoil spring might be "going solid" before the slide goes back far enough to clear the ejector and allow it to pop up.)

Also make sure the ejector spring is correctly installed and not impeding free upward movement of the ejector.

M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts