Walther Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally happened to me.  I had an FTF while shooting my P99QA .40S&W last week.  I've read some previous posts in this forum regarding the lighter primer strikes of striker-fired pistols compared to hammer-fired ones.  When I called S&W (who supports Walther pistols) I was told the striker spring only comes in one tension.

I wonder if anybody has ever used a stronger striker spring in his  P99.  One thing going against the QA is the lack of 2nd-strike capability (no DA mode).  You'd have to reset the striker by racking the slide about 1/4".  Or rack it all the way and chamber a new round.  If I don't get a satisfactory solution, my Walther may cease to be a self-defense pistol and simply become a range gun.  Or it may find itself traded for a more reliable pistol.  (I love my Sig 229, and am looking at maybe getting a 226).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My P99QA is relatively new, with about 400 rounds thru it.  I agree that the 2nd-strike capability may be overrated.  You'd rather put in a new round than retry with what might be a dud round.

My main concern is the lighter primer strike as compared to hammer-fired pistols.  Granted, I ran 50 rounds of Black Hills HP on it without a hiccup.  (My other choice of SD ammo is Remington Golden Saber.)  But even premium ammo, from time to time, may have a round with a harder-than-usual primer.  For those instances, I'd prefer the greater margin provided by a stronger primer strike. That is why I'd prefer a stronger striker spring.

Also, cheap ammo is cheap ammo -- however, prior to this, I've ran 2000 rounds of S&B ammo thru my Sigs, HK & CZ, collectively, with nary a hiccup.  Just  my thoughts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.