Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, taking my new P22Q to the range I experienced an issue I'd like you members to comment on. After one mag shot with no problem I began to then have a failure of the slide to apparently not come back far enough (to push the hammer far enough) for the next trigger pull. I was using Federal Champion 40 grain. My friend (shooting his brand new Ruger LCPII 22) was using CCI Mini Mag HD 36 grain. I shot two mags of his CCI without issue. He shot a mag of my Federal and experienced the same failure I did. The problem is obviously ammo. Can someone tell me why?

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Both pistols are blowback operated. In order to cycle they depend on the gas pressure generated by the fired cartridge to blow the projectile out of the barrel and shove the spent case rearward with enough energy to move the mass of the slide, compress the recoil spring, move the hammer and compress the mainspring, drag over the next round in the magazine and still have enough energy so that the spent case hits the ejector hard enough so that it is ejected out of the pistol. Quite a lot for the little cartridge to accomplish on full slide pistols. So, OF is correct. Your ammo is not generating enough blowback energy. All of this is why you also cannot limp wrist these small, light weight pistols. That allows the much needed blowback energy to be lowered....in fact, don't limp wrist any semi auto pistol.

After a few thousand rounds your pistol might function with the Federals...mine do. Springs weaken a bit and take a set. But for now a couple of the best rounds are CCI mini mags and Remington Golden bullets for P22s. 1917

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, even though the Federal is a heavier bullet (40g) than the CCI (36) it probably has less of a charge (powder) than the CCI?

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Yes, no and perhaps. Shooters routinely look at the velocity of a round as printed on the box. Those velocities are out of rifle barrels. 3.4" barrels or 5" barrels do not generate the velocity or energy. Look at the site ByTheInch ballistics to see this correlation for popular ammo and different length barrels. The P22 is one of the test pistols. The primer, type of powder, amt of powder and weight of the projectile all figure in the final blowback energy. I cannot tell the difference in felt recoil between CCI Mini Mags and Remington Golden bullets and both reliably cycle a P22. Federals and Winchester feel noticeably weaker regardless of what the box might say. The 21gr CCI copper rounds cycle my P22s fine....but they pop out of rifle barrels at around 2,000 fps. And obviously pretty fast out of a short pistol barrel. Some ammo simply isn't powerful enough for reliable cycling. 1917

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1917 thank you. I've learned more in the last three or four minutes than I have in the last couple of years regarding .22LR.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
How did the LCP shoot? I can't imagine wanting one of those in .22. I've had a couple of LCPs. Fired one over 4,000 times and it was 100% reliable. Target pistol it wasn't. Plinker it wasn't. It was fine for what it was designed to do.

Make it in .22 and it would be pleasant and inexpensive to shoot....but, I can't imagine that with that short sight radius that it is even up to plinker grade. The short barrel P22, Ruger SR22 and Smith compact all fit plinker grade..barely. The 5" P22 is quite accurate, more so than the 3.4" version. Several years ago I put a couple in a Ransom type rest and tested them at 25M or 82'. My Smith compact had such a bad barrel (three of them) that it wouldn't even stay on paper. The 3.4" barrel P22 was good for 3" +/- groups of five. The 5" barrel was good for under 1" five round groups with some in the 5/8" spread. On the other hand a bull barrel Ruger target MK III would put them in a 3/8" group. I think I am going to order one of those rim gauges.

I've seen new LCPs in the $150 range. I wonder what the .22 is going for. 1917

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .22 Results

You might want to have a look at this site if you haven't. If your friend is thinking of carrying the LCP, CCI Velocitors have the most energy. As most will tell you and him...a pistol of any kind is better than a stick but .22 ammo isn't really powerful enough for quick incapacitation. CCI is at least pretty reliable, some other brands have too many duds...which can be a problem in a semi auto. The site above has a velocity page and and energy page. 1917

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The LCPII shot fine (except for using my Champions!) and you are correct, not a plinking range gun. I'd owned an LCP Custom in .380 previously and knew how it would feel (forgot how tiny). He's debating carrying it, but does like the thought due to the size/weight. He normally carries an LC9. I'm very glad I purchased the P22Q, however. My first handgun was a PPS (M1) which I still have and carry often.

Thanks for the website on ballistics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts