Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just have a quick question for you guys. I'm only at about 500 rounds on my P99 (but MAN does it shoot well!) but on one magazine, the slide failed to lock back after the last round was shot. It slammed back forward. What is the usual cause of this? Could it be due to a little limp-wristing? My last shot was off from the other groupings. Anticipated it and shot low.

Any comments?

·
Registered
821 Posts
could be magazine related, but my money is on your thumb hitting the slide stop and holding it down inadvertantly during recoil.

It happens.

Does the lever move freely? Does it lock back with an empty magazine? Let us know.

-stunks

·
Registered
310 Posts
Like stunks said, insert the empty mag and see if it will lock back (use the one that had the failure).

The spring in the magazine may be weakened and the follower isn't hitting the slide stop correctly.

Or, your thumb may have been on the slide stop. I've done it more than once -- although not so much with my P99, since the lever is pretty slim profile.

Jim

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, it'll lock back with the magazine no problem.

You're both probably right, maybe I was hitting the slide release. I had gloves on, so I wasn't as tactile as I would without them. Probably my problem

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've found if I think about it (not touching the slide stop), my shooting actually improves!!!

Perhaps thinking too much is why some women can pick up a firearm and outshoot their male counterparts on their first or second trip to the range!

-stunks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts