Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm new to owning a PPQ and this forum, so I apologize if this has been asked before...I took my gun to the range twice and the groups are beautiful, however they all go RIGHT, height isn't a problem, just windage. The gun shoots about 5" to the right at 15 yards, which kinda sucks. MY ACTUAL QUESTION IS: Do you guys know how to adjust the factory sights ? The sight does not have a screw, just a hollow spring, it says to use the "rear sight adjustment tool" which I can't find anywhere. Should I try to just gently tap it ? HELP PLEASE, THANKS GUYS

PS: I heard here that all the new shooters (presumably right handed) all tend to shoot left, I'm left handed and I shoot right, could that be a factor ?

·
Super Moderator
14,811 Posts
Wellllll, if you have the factory night sights, then they are a press fit with a roll pin/spring between the bottom of the sight and the top of the slide…just like you described. These are pressed in and are adjustable by using a sight pusher, or a hammer and a punch. If using the hammer and punch method, try to use a plastic tipped brass punch and be careful.

However, before I'd do any of that, I'd let someone else shoot the pistol and see how they do, preferably, try to find someone that's a known marksman. As you pointed out, this could be a grip problem, a trigger finger problem or a combination of the two.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Can you post a pic of the left side of the rear sight and another one of the right side of the rear site? Maybe another over all shot from front and or back? Ya know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@ imaoldfart: I agree w/ everything you said, I'm gonna take it to the range before adjusting it, and let my Dad shoot it, who is a much better shot than me and on top of that is right handed, so that should bring clarity :) To my defense: I did put the gun on a sandbag and sat down with it to try to avoid as much human error as possible. The sight push tool you mentioned...can you send me a link or is that common enough to google ?

Here also some pics:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,811 Posts
@ imaoldfart: I agree w/ everything you said, I'm gonna take it to the range before adjusting it, and let my Dad shoot it, who is a much better shot than me and on top of that is right handed, so that should bring clarity :) To my defense: I did put the gun on a sandbag and sat down with it to try to avoid as much human error as possible. The sight push tool you mentioned...can you send me a link or is that common enough to google ?

Here also some pics:
Nice pistol.....is that a first edition? As for the sight pusher/installation tool, I don't have a link for one specific to the PPQ. I do a lot of modifications to a lot of things, but when it comes to beatin' on my sights with a hammer and a punch, and especially a first edition with those nice factory night sights, I do believe I'd just take it to a competent gun smith and ask them to move the sight an rch to the left or right.

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
That isn't a 1st edition Old Fart, the slide would be marked 1st edition, however that sure is a threaded barrel, wonder if it is barrel 0005 which was for sale on a Classic Q a while back. Or maybe it is a Navy Q in which case we are all very jealous!

WPPQB...I shoot lefty and the first mag was slightly off to the right. I'd send more rounds down range before you try adjusting the sights. Concentrate on finger placement and definitely have a more experienced shooter send some rounds out.

Just what IS that Q WPPQB? The world wants to know...:D

·
Registered
579 Posts
Definitely get more practice before you start messing with the sights. I'm a lefty also, and I tend to shoot pretty consistently a little right, except when I get my breath control down and relax into the shots. When I do, I'm dead on. You're probably slapping the trigger a bit. If you compensate by adjusting the sights, you'll never be able to get any handgun dead on. I have thought about adjusting my sights, but I know it's a bad idea.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
MY ACTUAL QUESTION IS: Do you guys know how to adjust the factory sights ? The sight does not have a screw, just a hollow spring, it says to use the "rear sight adjustment tool" which I can't find anywhere. Should I try to just gently tap it ? HELP PLEASE, THANKS GUYS
Those are the factory photoluminescent sights. They glow in the dark if they are "charged" with a light source but there are no tritium vials in them, so I wouldn't be all that worried to hammer away with a brass hammer and/or a brass punch. Getting the rounded slide to stay put in a vise may be a little difficult though. If you put the slide in a vise, don't clamp on the slide too tightly near where the guide rails are, as this area of metal is very thin, and may bend if too much tension is put on it.

There is no spring in that rear sight. There is a roll pin that tensions the rear sight into the dovetail. From my own experience with a PPS, that roll pin puts a lot of tension on that rear sight, so it may take some strong blows to get the rear sight to go where you want it to go.

I agree with the others that you may want to make sure it is the gun and not the shooter before trying this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
About the whole edition discussion: Its a "PPQ Tactical Navy" which comes with the night sights and a threaded Barrel.I added a picture of the official german model name. I didn't know the threaded barrel was such a big deal here, I thought most of you had one.It's rather useless to me being in Canada anyways since those nice little Silencerco Osprey suppressors are illegal :mad: The "Q" in PPQ stands for Quick Defense, which is that magnificent trigger.

Back to the issue: I will definitely ask my right-handed dad to shoot it until I start messing around with the sights, also since I paid almost $1000 for it, I'll invest in a sight pusher tool. I'll let you know the outcomes from the range, thanks for all the help, this is a great Forum :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
OK WPPQB, we are jealous!!!
I think you need to just get rid of that pistol as it doesn't shoot right.
I'll make the sacrifice and take it off your hands!.

Down here a Classic Navy Q is very hard to come by right now. Besides the Navy Q only the FEs had threaded barrels here in the states. They are both prized and sought after.
A few more months and I'll be able to bring my Osprey home (got to have the federal tax stamp to be legal) and I'd love to use my First Edition as my night stand weapon, with the Osprey and a Viridian C5L, and use the Navy as my EDC!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.