Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been looking for some phosphoric paint similar to what comes on the factory sights of the PPS M2 LE.

I have found several water based phosphoric paints, but I'm not sure that I want water based things on my guns?

Does anyone know what paint the factory uses?

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
No, I've not used the paint. I use that tritium stuff. :D However, looks like we're pretty much SOL for tritium sights for the P5. :D

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Not the case.

We can send our slides off for drilling/installation of Trijicon units.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have the exact same product linked by Old Fart and I've used it on the front sight of a revolver. I can't say whether it is oil or water based, but I can confirm that it glows at least as brightly as the paint on the Walther pistols (side-by-side comparison).

In its non-phosphorescent state it looks greenish-white, as seen on the main picture in the link. When it has been activated, and in total darkness, it glows just as green as the Walthers (as seen in the side pictures of the link).

I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I felt the need to renew the paint on the Walthers (and my Walthers have steel sights - not plastic).

Balor

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I asked a similar question over at arfcom, except for the type of "glow paint" that HK uses, as the sights on my HK 45 are the best non tritium night sights I've ever seen. Far brighter than any trit sight, and if properly charged they will still be glowing in the morning when I wake up.

I was told HK uses Super Luminova.

https://www.esslinger.com/luminova-...MI-dbA1vjd3AIVj-F3Ch3iDgkQEAQYASABEgKHc_D_BwE

Same stuff that all the high end watch makers use as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it just as bright in the morning or just a dim percentage of?

I've tried a couple paints, seems they work fine for a few hours but to really get full use of, "just case" HD situation, it almost required a dedicated light source/constant exposure to gain full benefit.

Also had issue in dim daylight situations, where a bright light source may not be available to charge, the off white/light green hue, seemed to be a negative rather than a positive. To the point I went back to a bright white dot, which seemed to perform better in most situations.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
They get dimmer over time of course. But it puts to shame the other "glow in the dark" products I've tried over the years, such as the "Nite Sighters" self adhesive material, or the cheap "glow paint" sold at hobby stores.

The HK sights are still not like Trijicons, don't get me wrong. But when first charged up with my LED desk lamp while I'm working (or playing) on my computer for a couple hours, they are the brightest night sights I've ever experienced. When the pistol is on my night stand there may be some slight re-charging from the LED numbers on my digital alarm clock, but it cannot be a big factor.

When I can justify the $50 for "glow paint" I'm going to get some of the Luminova and try it on some of my other pistols that only have painted three dot sights to see if it really compares to the HK sights.
the key though, IMHO is giving any of this type of "paint" a proper charge up with LED lamps. The difference in performance between LEDs and incandescent bulbs is profound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts