121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #121

·
Registered
6 Posts
Factory night sight rear with TFX front?

Just wondering if anyone has tried a TFX front sight along with the Walther factory rear night sight. My question is, do the heights match up? I prefer the factory rear, but would like the TFX front.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
The TFX front sight is taller the the PPQ OEM sight...I think you'd really change the POA/POI

·
Registered
97 Posts
I pm'ed olsoul about this but was wondering on the TFX and TFX Pro's - do they all have that gap at the front of the rear sight between the sight and the frame or is that just a variance between the different "P" pistols? I love the sights and are torn between them or the Trijicon HD's for this reason. The gap would probably drive me nuts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
After going to the gun shop on sat i decided to take on this job on myself.
The gunsmiths apprentice was only available and he didn't even know how to take the rear sight off.

I took 2 pieces of pine and clamped the rear sight in between it on a vice with the bottom of the sight facing up.
Then i took a small drill bit (2mm i think) and inserted it through the serrated roll pin from the side and just wedged it upwards forcing the roll pin out of the sight, it came out pretty easy although the drill bit bent a little.

To fit in the new serrated roll pin i just squeezed it into place in a vice in between the soft pine wedges and it seated in perfectly.

After tapping in the rear sight i could feel that it is going in much tighter then before so i hope my problem is solved.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to help me sort out my problem.
After a few more thousand rounds through my PPQ M1 the rear sight hasn't moved a ball hair.:D

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
After a few more thousand rounds through my PPQ M1 the rear sight hasn't moved a ball hair.:D
Sweet! I'm not sure I understand how you did it but I'm glad the installation worked for you. I've mounted more then a few sets of factory night sights, TFX and TFX Pros using a pusher, none have moved with daily use and abuse.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Inspired by the manliness of imaoldfart's thumb, I attempted to do the install and damaged my new rear sight...

I'm sure it'll still work for a PPS by installing from the right side of the slide, but I don't think I can try again on my PPQ. I wonder if there's a PPS owner that would want these at a significant discount.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Is that the toothed roll pin inside the sight???

Here is mine:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is that the toothed roll pin inside the sight???
Yup, I pressed the roll pin in with the teeth on the bottom just as I've seen in countless photos. The issue I ran into was that I didn't notice the sight was caught by the sharp edge on the slide as I was trying to tap it in. I kept tapping until I realized it just wouldn't budge but then the slide had already dug into the sight and was lifting up the sliver of material seen in my photo.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Those teeth looked open not closed like the pin in mine.....

Sorry you bunged your sights. It might be possible to file down those spots and try again, this time very slowly and check the sight position after every few taps...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Those teeth looked open not closed like the pin in mine.....

Sorry you bunged your sights. It might be possible to file down those spots and try again, this time very slowly and check the sight position after every few taps...
Are yours the Walther factory sights? Mine are Meprolights, maybe there are minor differences or maybe the teeth close up tighter after installation.

Yeah, I'm a bit discouraged after I messed it up, but I'm still going to blame imaoldfart's thumb.

·
Premium Member
13,720 Posts
Yes, I've been told I have manly thumbs. Sure hope that rear sight you were hammerin' on was plastic.

If I was going to install a 'press fit' rear sight, I'd either use my manly thumb or a sight pusher.

The outer edges on the dovetail in the PPQ slide are paper thin and can be peeled up very easily.....proper alignment and gentleness is required.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
As the title of the thread says..."Factory Night Sight Installation", yes the sights mentioned are the metal factory night sights.

Don't be too discouraged, with some judicious filing those sights might be usable. But use a proper file. Consider borrowing a sight pusher from someone for your next attempt and reread post #21.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use a Sight Pusher -

I'm bummed I cannot get the Walther Factory Steel Night Sights with the tritium vials like those here in the U.S. Walther USA's license expired and they aren't renewing it...so they only sell the phosphorescent ones here (at least that was the story a year ago). But I liked that they were steel and the look matches the slide profile really well, so I got the "glow in the dark" ones anyway. At least they have bigger dots then the polymer PPQ sights and provide a much better sight picture, especially for my 45 year old aging eyes.

Anyway, I was worried about nerfing up my PPQ M2 slide as well...so I was conservative and purchased a universal sight pusher. I got the one from eBay shown at the link attached below...it is called "Sight-Pusher.com" made by "D.D.Machine". I'm pretty sure it's a knock-off...but it is solid and worked wonderfully!!! You just line it up and then turn the screw really, really slowly, pushing Left to Right. I also cut out a small piece of card board and placed in between the sight and the pushing block on the tool to prevent the sight from getting scratched. I was done in less than 15 mins, including setting the tool up...and it took very little effort to turn the screw. It is $79.99 on eBay...and worth every penny IMHO!!

Hope this helps!!

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
bry....I think Earl has plenty of the tritium night sights in his back room...
Walther PPQ They cost 145 plus shipping which is pricey but I agree about the look of those sights.

As to the pusher...glad it worked for you. The whole point of this threat has been about mounting push adjustable night sights so your insight (especially about going slowly) is very valuable. I have a piece of old belt leather I use instead of cardboard to keep from marring the finish but cardboard would work too.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I'm relinking the images that PB blocked...I hope this helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
*Removing* factory installed, Factory Night Sights?

I read through this topic again, and I'm not confident I have deduced the correct answer to this: I need to remove a rear, factory installed, factory night sight from a new PPQ (April 2018 ser #FCLxxxx). Can somebody confirm it is only friction fit? I can see daylight under the sight, but it doesn't appear completely clear, is there locktite or some other retainer under it?

I'm familiar with the tools & process for fitting various after market sights on PPQs, just looking for the particulars of the factory install before I start trying to push on this one out.

·
Premium Member
13,720 Posts
I read through this topic again, and I'm not confident I have deduced the correct answer to this: I need to remove a rear, factory installed, factory night sight from a new PPQ (April 2018 ser #FCLxxxx). Can somebody confirm it is only friction fit? I can see daylight under the sight, but it doesn't appear completely clear, is there locktite or some other retainer under it?

I'm familiar with the tools & process for fitting various after market sights on PPQs, just looking for the particulars of the factory install before I start trying to push on this one out.
This is toooo easy. If your rear sight 'does not' have the factory windage screw and/or plunger/spring, then you have a 'press fit/friction fit' rear sight.

Best thing you can do is post a nice, clear, in focus picture of your rear sight.....taken from the right side, which would be where the head of the windage adjustment screw would be.

This is what I'm talking about. Does you factory installed sight have the screw?

121 - 140 of 147 Posts