Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Installation Report

To say I approached this project with trepidation would be an understatement! And I do appreciate all the advice, help and support the forum members gave me. Walther customer service also went above and beyond in giving me support.

As there was no way I was going to try and tap out the sight, I splurged on a P500 sight pusher....I'll give away the ending by saying it is worth every penny.

After field stripping my Navy Q I used the flat bladed screw driver from my Swiss Army knife to remove the front sight. My install might be a bit different so I'll explain. I put a dollop of blue loctite on a plastic card. I then put the screw in the slot of the slide, holding it fast with my finger. I took a toothpick and applied loctite to the threads which stick up through the slide. I then threaded the front sight down on the screw (about 3 or 4 turns). I pushed the front slight into the slot, turned the slide over and tightened down the screw...easy as anything.

I then inserted the slide in the P500 making sure the rear sight was aligned with the pusher. I tightened the slide down and adjusted the pusher height to the sight. By the way the P500 is extremely over built and has inserts which make it extremely hard to mar your weapon.

you can see this pusher is no flimsy piece of metal.

I decided to follow the advice of the Walther instructions and the Walther smith and push the sight out from right to left

I did this very slowly but it slid right out without much effort (although I could not have done it without the allen wrench).

I started the new sight from the left side and angled down into the channel to take advantage of the bowed groove. It took me a few minutes but I just used my fingers to start it. I then pushed the sight in about 3 turns, backed off the pusher and readjusted it, three more turns and readjusted again, by this time the rear sight had passed the start of the bow and the compression roll pin had cleared the slide and the sight was parallel to the slide. About 25 more turns and the sight was installed!

I fine tuned the sight a bit but will take the pusher to the range in case I need more adjustments.

I'm rather pleased with the outcome and proud to have done the job myself! I doubt the whole job took 45 minutes but it seemed like 2 hours.

Again to all of you, my thanks! And yes, this job can be done at home with the proper tools!

·
Premium Member
13,560 Posts
Good job Olsoul......you're a bigger man than me. Really happy it worked out for ya.....and yeah, using the right tools is always a plus.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Good job, and welcome to the club. :D

That sight pusher looks like it was made to be used commercially. It does look overbuilt.

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks balance....I'm still marveling at the job...:D
I'm swamped with student divers but hope to get to the range Wednesday or Thursday to see if I need more adjustments...I eye balled it in fairly well if I do say so myself...but proof is in the putting.

Sure glad I don't push sights for a living.

·
Registered
251 Posts
damnit i really dont wanna spend the 130ish to change a under warranty night sight. looks like i gotta send the slide to walther, i just wish they didnt make me pay for shipping. ruger covers the shipping on warranty.

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Here is my first magazine with the Navy Q after the new sights were installed...I rested the grip on a 4 lb soft dive weight as I couldn't get hold of a real rest to use....I shot this mag at 25 feet....I was going to go to 15 if there were problems but I think this is close enough for government work:

I shot at various distances from 15 to 75 feet today....the sights seem just fine.

Reactions: SteveL and pani

·
Registered
436 Posts
Good job. I did the same thing with a way worse tool. That tool I recently just broke trying to push some M&P stock shield sights out. So I need a new one anyhow.

I did like those sights on my FE just fine, but I'm still searching for the white buffalo.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I'm swamped with student divers but hope to get to the range Wednesday or Thursday to see if I need more adjustments...I eye balled it in fairly well if I do say so myself...but proof is in the putting.
I attach a laser to the accessory rail when changing sights. Align the laser to the POA of the factory sights, then adjust the new sights to the POA of the laser afterwards.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but it slipped my mind. I haven't changed sights myself in a while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So is a sight pusher the only way to install the Factory Night Sights? I am trying to get them to fit onto my PPQ M2 and the rear sight won't go on at all. Any thoughts? I would also like to know how these OEM night sights are wind adjustable. I can't figure that out yet either.

Lastly I would love to see what the top of the instructions say. Walther felt the need to cut the top off of my instructions...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
So is a sight pusher the only way to install the Factory Night Sights? I am trying to get them to fit onto my PPQ M2 and the rear sight won't go on at all. Any thoughts? I would also like to know how these OEM night sights are wind adjustable. I can't figure that out yet either.
I'm sure some wise person can tap the rear sight in without a sight pusher but I know I sure wouldn't be able to. You may need to find someone who can lend you one or ask a gunsmith for help.

As to wind adjustments...I'd eye ball it to center and bench test it then readjust with a pusher or use the laser sight as mentioned above (again you'll need a pusher). These sight are not click adjustable. Once you have it centered it shouldn't need to be adjusted again.

About the instructions....mine were the same way.....

Reactions: pani

·
Registered
8 Posts
2 questions. 1.Were you able to remove the rear sight? 2.You were able to push the rear sight although it has a retaining tabs at all four corners and is held in from beneath by upward pressure?

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If you look at the pictures I posted you'll see I was entirely successful. Those are not actually tabs at all, just extremely thin metal.
The compression roll pin gave no trouble at all but I was using a very robust sight pusher.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
This thread is invaluable, and I'm asking for it to be stickied.

I too want PPS sights on my PPQ (the 9mm, as I already have Meps on my .40).

I've even emailed Trijicon asking if they would take my steel PPS stock sights and make them into night sights..awaiting their reply.

If they will, then I plan to purchase 2 sets of stock PPS sights, and send in to Trijicon to have worked into tritium versions to put on both of the PPQs.

For that matter, I may have to send in both of the PPS' sights too!

This thread basically answered the questions I had.

I like the lower profile, bigger dots, and the fact that they are steel, as opposed to the PPQ stock sights.

I'd probably put them on all the Walther pistols I'd own that would mate to them...(future P99/c ;))

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
My bad! I did a search and came up with the thread...didn't realize it was already "stuck"! :eek::D

So I emailed Dawn @ Trijicon last night, she replied back that they didn't drill and put tritium vials in sights, however, she headed me in the direction of THIS company, and i checked their links for the rundown...seems a little pricey, but if one would rather have the lower profile sights, it might just be worth it.

I'll be looking into having at least 2 sets done up...sometime. Probably be after the first of the year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Crazy followup question to all of this but since the "old" plunger is removed the hole is left. Does this cause an issue of dirt and such being built up in it? Would it be a good idea to attempt to fill it with something to avoid this issue? Lastly I did get a Smith to install my rear sight. Attached is a picture of the sights in a totally black room. I'm not sure if the picture does it justice at all but imo they are pretty bright.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,560 Posts
Crazy followup question to all of this but since the "old" plunger is removed the hole is left. Does this cause an issue of dirt and such being built up in it? Would it be a good idea to attempt to fill it with something to avoid this issue? Lastly I did get a Smith to install my rear sight. Attached is a picture of the sights in a totally black room. I'm not sure if the picture does it justice at all but imo they are pretty bright.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
The issue you mention is NOT an issue.

21 - 40 of 147 Posts