Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
First remove the rear slide plate and striker.
The decocker should come out as well.
Now flip the slide upside down and push the flat plunger in a little bit with a small punch and hand pressure.
This should release the extractor and the firing pin safety plunger.
Don't lose any of the springs or plungers....... cause you're gonna need 'em later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
NM_P99: Great information, thanks.

Do you see any advantage to removing the extractor for cleaning? I've had my P99 for a few years now and haven't even taken out the striker assembly for detail cleaning.

My P99 has still functioned flawlessly with standard field stripping and cleaning through several thousand rounds.

However, when I've run the edge of a patch soaked with cleaning solvent under the extractor, I've picked up powder residue. I'm wondering if it's worth trying to clean this area further.

I know the manual says they don't really recommend cleaning beyond what normal field stripping allows access to, and say removing the striker assembly for detail cleaning can be done, but isn't needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not going to remove it except to replace it; IF I need too. If you are concerned about cleaning it just shoot it with gun scrubber periodically.

Mike

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have well over 30k rounds thru my P99, and have never removed and cleaned from under the extractor.
It has been taken out twice that I can remember, once to see how everything comes apart, and the second time when I sent the slide off to be refinished.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Actually yes.
At around 10k the slide stop spring broke, but the new design appears to no longer have the stress point that the old spring had.
And at around 30k the rear of the slide broke off behind the rear sight.
Slide failure thread
S&W/Walther replaced the slide at no cost to me. They determined it had been mis-machined from the factory.
But in all those rounds I haven't had a single malfunction. It's gone bang every time the trigger has been pulled.
After this coming weekend I'll have to add another 2k to the round count. Academy Sports has Blazer 9mm at $80/1000.
I have two cases ready to roll.

·
Registered
39 Posts
NM_P99: Thanks for the information, it was appreciated.

I hope to catch up to your current round count someday, as I don't think I'll ever be able to match your volume of shooting.

I'm sure my P99 will still be functioning as impressively as it has been doing so faithfully.

mveldhuisen: I'm with you, I don't plan to take it apart. It was interesting to learn how to do it though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts