Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I recently picked up a used 9mm Q5 match to compete in USPSA with (been using a Sig P320 Carry all summer). I couldn't pass up the price. $565 (with 3 mags).

Shot my first match with it this past Sunday. I like it a lot. I ordered some TTI +5 extensions for it (I shoot limited).

I had a tough time getting the extra power springs in the mag and the baseplate on. I can see myself really struggling at the range if I need to clean a mag out by taking apart the mag.

Are the extra power springs actually needed? I can get the stock mag springs into the baseplate much easier. I put 21 rounds in but it is a tight fit into the gun with the slide closed. I'll probably only load 20 rounds so I can have easy reloads.

I was going to try to hit the range tomorrow and shoot 100 rounds through a mag with the baseplate and stock spring to test functionality.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
If the question is, will the mag work with a +5 extension, with the stock spring, I'd expect the answer to be, not optimally.

I guess you can test it out and see if you can live with it, but they don't provide extra power springs for nothing. I've had issues on Glock pistols with +2 extensions with stock springs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put 120 rounds through it Friday and then used it for a match today. It was the mag I loaded first. On Friday I did notice that it failed to lock the slide open on the last round fired a few times but in USPSA you should almost never let your gun get to slidelock. I did keep the other two mags with the extra power springs.

I didn't have any issues with it. I loaded 21 rounds since it was my starting mag for all stages.

Here is a stage I ran with it today.

https://youtu.be/3dUiyOXxl7E

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
It looks like it may work well enough for a competition pistol, at least right now.

On my Glock with +2 extensions and the stock springs, sometimes the follower would get stuck halfway up the mag and leave me with a not so easily fixed mag issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like it may work well enough for a competition pistol, at least right now.

On my Glock with +2 extensions and the stock springs, sometimes the follower would get stuck halfway up the mag and leave me with a not so easily fixed mag issue.

Oh definitely. I would not do this for a defensive pistol. I'm not worried about magazine cleaning for my defensive pistol mags. I have all the time in the world to take them apart and clean them at home after a range trip.

The main reason I am competing is to get better and more proficient at shooting. That it happens to be fun is big bonus. If a mag fails me in a match, yea it sucks, but its just a game at then end of the day.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Absolutely.

Keep us updated in regards to how this mag with this extension is working with the factory spring. I'm interested to see how this mag works as more rounds are put through it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts