Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I saw a compact Springfield XD in 9mm that came with a factory finger extension on the magazine that was at least an inch long and afforded an additional 5 rounds in it. I thought how nice it would be if there were such a thing available for the P99C as that would give it a grip more like a P99 but still have the short barrel for concealment. Does anyone know of anything in the works for a mag extension like this for the 'C'? -Rick

·
Registered
160 Posts
No idea. Walther's advertising of future products is poor even on their own website.

The major point in concealment is the height of the pistol, specifically the length of the grip that sticks out. The barrel length usually goes straight up and down with respect to the body. Kind of defeats the point of getting a compact only to save a half inch of barrel. If you could describe how you carry I would be interested to know as I myself need to know how to better carry my future full size P99.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've never really understood the desire for large capacity magazines or pinky extensions in compact pistols except when carried separately or for non-carry applications. Of course everyone determines for themselves how to conceal what they carry. For some the barrel is the problem, others the grip. Personally I'd keep the gun as small as possible and carry a full capacity magazine for those occasions where concealment has already been 'disturbed' and ammo supply is important. Not that I could have more than 10 rounds anyway :)

The Beretta 4000 has a little flip at the end of the grip that extends to provide pinky support. Neato gadgetty but I doubt it would help in a crisis situation.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.  I carry in several different ways: in an inside jacket pocket, in a strong-side holster that rides high and is canted forward a little, and in a modified upside down Roy's Hidden Thunder shoulder holster (not everyones favorite positiion I know).  Sometimes I wish I would have just gotten the P99 rather that the C model.  I'd like to have more hand on the grip ... just feels better to me.  Just another 1/2 inch would be great.  As for capacity, the little XD I mentioned before carries 15 + 1 and it's not much bigger that the 99C.  I know the prevailing opinion is that most gun fights are over in a few seconds and maybe not that many rounds are fired, but I can imagine scenarios where some maniac is shooting up a workplace or a store and you find yourself barricaded behind a door or a counter for a while.  In that case, I'd like as much ammo as I could get my hands on.  I'll just keep carrying my extra mag on me.  Thanks again for the replies guys.   -Rick

·
Registered
310 Posts
Have you ever tried just putting a regular 99 mag in your 99C? It ought to just hang out a bit, providing a "natural" pinky rest -- just not as pretty as the Pierce grip extensions for Glocks and others. I tried that with a CZ P-01 -- that's the compact version of the CZ 75. As a matter of fact, some guys posted some pictures of it on the CZ Shooters Forum, here: http://www.czshooters.com/modules....start=0 (Just scroll down to the bottom of the page)

I have the same problem...compact grips are just too small for my hands. I opted for the full-size P99 for just that reason. (The same with the CZ...went with the 75 instead of the P-01) It's a little harder to conceal, but I'm a fairly big guy so I have more room to hide it. There's no way I could ever be comfortable with one of those micro guns like the tiny Glocks...I can barely get three fingers on it!

Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rick,

I had been looking at an XD before I bought the P99C. I saw that thing you're talking about for the XD mag.

I too have thought that it would be nice to have for my Walther - but only in a spare mag pouch.

I would keep the mag in the gun the short one.

However, I can conceal a pretty long magazine in a spare carrier because it is vertical and narrow.

Sometimes I carry a spare, sometimes I don't. I probably would only carry a full size mag during the winter or on those special occasions where a few more rounds might be nice to have.

BTW, What brand/model of belt holster are you using???

Oh, one more thing. I'm confused about the XD subcompact. The ones I saw only had 10 round mags. I checked their website and it says the 9mm has 10+1 and the .40 is 9+1.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi,

I have this item for my xd9 sc. it is really nice. I don't carry though so I have no idea about concealability. I will say that it makes a big difference when shooting at the range. It's basically a sleeve that allows you to insert a full size XD magazine without the worry of bending or breaking the extractor.

I also have a magazine with a pearse grip extender, but the high cap sleeve is better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The holster I'm using now is a Hunter 5008-9942; not a costly holster and there is probably a nicer Galco out there but this one is serving me well. It fits a 99 or 99C perfectly.
The thing I'm talking about isn't really a mag extension but a new mag with built in extension. I have a picture of the XD with this mag on it but can't figure out how to put it in this post. I don't have a web page anywhere and couldn't find a pic of it on Springfield's site for a link either. I would be glad to email it to anyone if they would like to see it. My email is [email protected]
A regular XD subcompact does carry 10+1 in 9mm and 9+1 in 40, but the extended mag carries 15 and looks integral with the grip. Actually I don't particularly like the overall look of it as it sort of makes the gun look like a little Mac10
, but I think something like it could be developed for the P99 and maybe still look nice. Walthers already look much better than any of the polymer guns.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes Rick, like I said in my first post, it's a sleeve that goes over a service size 15 round magazine. This integrates with the SC XD handle. They are so popular I haven't seen any in stores. I got mine from a free magazine offer Springfield ran back in January.

Chris Cahill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a suggestion: Large-capacity magazines in compact pistols do work and can be made a bit less ugly by cutting off a finger of a neoprene glove and sliding it over the mag. Most neoprene fisherman/hunter gloves have a pebbled surface which can be aligned with the front of the grip, sort of a cheap way to extend the factory stippling. I did this to a 99c and it actually works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts