Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently purchased a p99 AS and have put 100 rounds through it. I was impressed with the accuracy and had no failures what so ever...so all in all I am very happy with my purchase so far.

But after doing some forum reading I wanted to check on a few things about my trigger...

The following is based on dry firing (hope to get to the range this week).

When I cock the pistol (putting it into SA mode) I can then pull back the trigger half way until it catches. At this point I can slowly pull the trigger to a point where it basically stops (about a 1/16 of inch before the trigger comes in contact the gun.) Then it takes a little more pressure before it fires.

Is this normal? I apologise for the long post and I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
This is normal and it is the "Anti Stress or AS" trigger.....
If you cock your pistol to put it in SA the trigger originally stays all the way forward.... then you pull the trigger slowly till it "catches" now if you take your finger off the trigger, the trigger should stay there... hence now it is in the true SA position (like it is when you live fire after the first shor)..... now if you push your decocker it should decock the P99 and the trigger should go into DA again.
The "AS" will not put the trigger into "SA" mode when manually cocked like other guns and some will say with the right holster and a contolled triggerfinger the P99/AS is safe to be carried in the anti stress mode.
I do not recommend this type of carry for every day carry and think it should be reserved for range use and LEO's but that is my 2 cents

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some clarification...

Thanks uncut for the response...I guess I should clarify some....

The AS part makes sense, but once it is locked into the SA stage should the trigger be fairly short and crisp after that?

After I put my gun into the SA mode the trigger will naturally pull till about 1/16 inch of contact with the back of the trigger guard, then you have to apply extra pressure before it fires. Does that make sense?

It seems like it pulls back to a natural stopping point, but doesnt fire till I add a little extra pressure and come in contact with the back of the trigger guard.

Its not a huge deal...I was able to become pretty accurate my first time out with some practice...just wanted to make sure it was normal. thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had that feeling on a few of the guns I've fired, I actually prefer it. As to the reason why this happens, I couldn't tell you. Happened on the HK USPc that I fired though as well.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The AS trigger has three stages.

1) Full forward. This is where the trigger will be after the slide is racked.

2) Half-way back. You pull the trigger lightly, and it clicks into the SA position. If you let go of the trigger before firing, it will return to (or stay at) the halfway point.

3) Reset position. From #2 above, you pull it back a very slight amount, and you feel it "stop". Practice finding this with an empty gun. This is the final "break point", and further pulling will fire the gun. If you let go of the trigger, it will return to the halfway point.

The reason this is good is because in precision/target shooting, you can click into SA mode, align the sights, then pull back to the break. Realign if needed, and nearly no pressure is needed to fire.

BTW, of course there's another mode - full DA. But that's self-explanitory.

I keep thinking of making a flash animation to demonstrate these different modes. It's simple when you handle the gun, but to explain to people is difficult as they have no frame of reference (i used to be one of those people.)

thorn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big Thanks!

Thanks for all the responses guys.

That makes sense thorn..."the final breaking point"...I will keep that in mind on my next trip to the range.:)

·
Registered
536 Posts
My first handgun was a Glock, and until i got the P99 i never understood what the problem was that people have with the trigger... some people call it "mushy", but i wouldnt use that term. It's more accurate to describe it as "lacking feedback".

In other words, you just pull and pull and at some point the gun goes off. This made slow-fire accuracy very difficult for me, as i had to *completely* control the trigger finger pressure the entire time of the pull. There's simply no tactile feedback in the trigger to tell you "ok, at this point it's going to fire". But having little experience with other semi-autos, i just assumed "that's how it is".

People often speak of the 1911's trigger as being so good, because of the trigger break - and i believe the AS trigger was designed to mimic this type of behavior while utlizing a striker system instead of a hammer. The AS trigger absolutely lets you know when the striker is going to release - there's no guesswork, no mystery.

So definately spend some time with the empty gun, finding those 3 points in the AS trigger. Find the break point, and get familiar with exactly how it feels when you hit it, and how much you pull to break the threshold. I think you'll come to love it.

thorn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts