Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to add more weight to the barrel of my P 99. I ordered the tungsten guide rod that Walther advertises for its PPQ 4" and 5" models. I put it in my P 99 and it seems to fit perfectly. I then called Walther and asked a lady there if the guide rod would work in the P 99. She said no and I told her I had already put one in my P 99. She said let me ask one of the gun smiths. The answer came back that if the slide would function back and forth with the guide rod it would probably work. I said there was no problem with that. In fact, there is little discernible difference in functioning the slide with either the original guide rod or the tungsten one. So i am going to shoot the P 99 with the tungsten guide rod and see what happens. The lady at Walther said let us know what happens.
Anyone else tried this combo in their P 99? Any reasons, why I should not try this? If you don't here more from me - well.......LOL

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Pay attention to where the guide rod seats against the frame (when the pistol is assembled). My only concern would be if there was any abnormal wear in this area due to using a guide rod that is heavier than the original design. This has been an issue on other designs in the past.

Other than that, I wouldn't see an issue using one of these.

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Errrrrr, looking at the 'exploded view' the part numbers for the rsa are the same (2625164) for the PPQ and the P99. I'm thinkin' you're in like Flint.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
The design around where the guide rod is seated in the frame is a little different between the P99 and PPQ. I doubt there is much difference, but if I heard from the manufacturer that they don't recommend this, I'd at least keep an eye on it.

It is not unheard of. Colt Mustang owners learned this the hard way.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
So how much heavier is the tungsten guide rod going to make the gun? Can’t be enough to make a substantial difference in performance. Tungsten is a light metal. Why not stainless steel? Not that SS would make the gun any better either. Good luck with your experiment. It is not one I would consider.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You should still be able to acquire the military metal guide rod assembly for the P99 from Earls. It isn't cheap but it does accomplish what you seek to do without that element of worry.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
It is not unheard of. Colt Mustang owners learned this the hard way.

What was the situation on the Mustang? Just curious, as I have a Mustang Lite and an old Mustang Plus II.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Tungsten is about 2 1/2 times heavier.

Indeed, my addled 77 year old brain confused it with Titanium. Now the OP's plan make sense to me. Thanks for defogging me.

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Puck puck auck. I chickened out. I like my two P 99s too much to risk damaging one. They are part of my top trio of pistols that I like a lot ( custom light weight 1911 9mm, Walther P 99, and HK P 2000). I tend to eschew the pistols with the bare triggers only as safety ( Glocks and the PPQ and that genre without thumb safeties)So I took jsbethels advice and ordered a tungsten and stainless steel guide rod for the two P 99 from Earls. Thanks very much for everyone's good advice. It is much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
What was the situation on the Mustang? Just curious, as I have a Mustang Lite and an old Mustang Plus II.
I remember hearing of issues with damaged slides and frames from switching to a steel guide rod in these pistols, with some reports of cracking. I've also heard that the steel in the older pistols were not heat treated correctly from the factory, but overall I remember that it was advised that people stick to the polymer guide rods in these pistols.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Let's think.
Due to its weight, the tungsten rod will try to stay in place during recoil.
This means that he will hit the return spring at the end of the rollback.
This means that the service life of the spring is reduced. Perhaps catastrophically.

It is probably not just recommended that you stick to the original plastic spring rod.

Tungsten is an expensive material. Therefore, the use of such trinkets is a good way to increase ...

...the welfare of the seller. ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
Let's think.
Due to its weight, the tungsten rod will try to stay in place during recoil.
This means that he will hit the return spring at the end of the rollback.
This means that the service life of the spring is reduced. Perhaps catastrophically.
What do you believe the factory guide rod does during the recoil operation? Could you explain what is meant by "hitting the return spring" and "rollback".....those are terms I have not encountered before? What is the reduction in service life?

·
Registered
74 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts