Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I do have sweet feelings for the PP Super: so nice and well made. Year after year, a german dealer visits our gun shows here with a PP Super NIB that doesn't find any owner. I'm tempted to give a home to that poor little boy. Ammo (9 x 18 police) is not plenty but findable in Switzerland.

Does anyone has any experience with the PP Super?

Thanks in advance.

L.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have shot the PP Super in 9x18 Police before, and fought it to be light, and very accurate. Physically, it's a very ergonomic weapon, with a good grip, and about 85% as pleasing to the eye, as the PP/PPK.

The problem with the gun relates to the 9x18 cartridge. It's really too powerful for the PP frame, and basic blowback mechanism. It is very hard on the hand, and the guy who owned the piece I shot wore gloves specifically for this gun. It's really no wonder that the German cops passed this gun over in favor of 9x19 weapons.

Really it comes down to price. If this is for a collection, and will be shot little to none, I say buy it (for a decent price). If you wish this to be a gun you frequently shoot, you should pass. The 9x18 cartridge is near-impossible to find affordably here in the land of McDonald's, and can't be too much better in Switzerland.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your advice,

As the gun show is in april, I have plenty time to decide. The PP Super has a collection attraction for me as I do own almost every basic DA Walther model: .32 PP (Zella), .32 PPK (Manurhin), P38 (Ulm) and P5.

Ammo is findable here: surplus from police stocks or new Fiocchi, as it is still used in Italy where military calibers are banned for civilians.

I'll keep you informed.

Bye

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hello Laurent,
Wow, what can I say! The 9x18 Ultra cartridge is my all-time personal favorite. I still carry my PP Super every once in awhile even though, I'll admit, my regular carry now is an ASAI One1Pro45.

I don't really know where the idea of it being a powerful cartridge comes from. But I guess it is all subjective, more so with me because until recently, my usual workweek carry was a S&W 1006(10x25?). And to me, it really didn't kick that hard. True, about 6 years ago, I obtained a custom target grip for the Super with big palm swells and huge thumbrest, but I don't remember it being such a big kicker before.

You just might be in luck with ammo for it. Over here now in CONUS, only Geco and Fiocchi are available. In Switzerland you should be able to find a plentiful supply of Hirtenberger. And if you do, by all means stock-up. Out of my aging memory, I'll state this. Geco will give you about 1050 fps. Fiocchi, about 25 fps more than Geco. Hirtenberger will almost reach 1,100 fps. I find that exciting. Almost a mild 9mm Luger spec.

Btw, sold my P5. Decided to stick mainly with the 9x18s, of which I have three 9x18U specimens. Walther PP Super, Benelli B-82 and Sig P230.

I'd say, buy the PP Super. Ammo is still plentiful and Fiocchi still produces it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts