Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Experiment: Canik 18 Round + Galloway Precision +2

I bought two Canik 18 round magazines that were modified by Old Fart a while back. They are great and work without any issues at all. They fit flush, do not over insert, and hold 18 rounds. My typical carry is a Walther P99 15 round magazine in the weapon (124gr HST) with the Canik 18 rounder in a sheath on my belt as a reload.

I was looking at Galloway Precision items the other day and came across these +2 extensions for the Canik 18 round magazines.

Back in the day Galloway had a great reputation so I contacted Old Fart and asked if he'd every played with them. He said no, but after looking thought they looked like they were worth a try. I ordered 2 on 7/3 and they arrived in today's mail. One note, if you decide to go this route you MUST have a 0.05 Allen Wrench to install these, which is smaller than those included in most sets.

Installed one on my back-up magazine and here it is:

It extends the magazine a bit, but the main issue is that the metal body of the magazine sits down into the original Canik base while on the Galloway base it sits on top of the base. This means that when inserted into the P99 there is a gap that is too small for the Grip Adapter from the P99c to work in and a short sleeve would be needed to avoid over-insertion damage to the weapon.

The other issue is more fundamental - its a +2 extension that I can only get an extra +1 into for a total of 19 not 20.

They seemed promising for $10 each and they are well made and arrived promptly. The problems are the potential for over-insertion (that a small sleeve would fix) and that it only adds +1 to the magazine instead of +2.

Final verdict - not worth money, the time, or the effort.

https://gallowayprecision.com/canik/tp9/plus-2-mag-extension-for-canik-tp9-pistols/

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
+1 is pretty mediocre. I agree that it doesn't sound like it's worth the effort. The extenders that turn normal 15-round P99/PPQ mags into 20- (or 21-) round mags are a lot more appealing. Not sure if those would fit on an 18-round Canik mag or not, though.

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
If 15+1 … then another 15 after reload … isn't enough ammunition for the unlikely event of self-defense/defense-of-others situation, then either the zombie apocalypse has arrived or someone wasn't aiming.

Given that context, I'm not sure I see value in an extra 3 rounds using the Canik magazines … or in adding extensions. Would you mind explaining the thinking?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If 15+1 … then another 15 after reload … isn't enough ammunition for the unlikely event of self-defense/defense-of-others situation, then either the zombie apocalypse has arrived or someone wasn't aiming.

Given that context, I'm not sure I see value in an extra 3 rounds using the Canik magazines … or in adding extensions. Would you mind explaining the thinking?
The 18s are precisely the same size as the 15s from Walther, so my thinking is why not take the extra 3?

On the extensions, I've been in a tinkering mode lately and rehabbed a police trade in Beretta 92S with more disassembly than I have done in 30 years with more parts replacement. Had fun and I ran across these +2s for $10 and thought - why not. In the end it was an interesting process but ultimately they are not useful IMHO.

As for why 18 vs 15 - if I am going to carry 9mm in my P99 and the mag 1) works consistently and 2) does not add to the size of the weapon then the conclusion for me is why would I leave 3 rounds out?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'm not sure I see value in an extra 3 rounds using the Canik magazines … or in adding extensions. Would you mind explaining the thinking?
I agree that for probably 99.99% of self defense scenarios, this stuff is unnecessary. However, I can't disagree with PPS1980 on capacity in general; I doubt there's anyone who walked away from a gunfight and wished they'd had less ammo available.

That said, most of these pistol mag extensions are primarily marketed at competition shooters in USPSA Limited and Open divisions, as well as 3-gun. They make perfect sense there, as those divisions all have mag capacity limited only by mag length. (171.25mm for Open, 141.25mm for Limited and 3-gun.) In those competitions, more rounds in the mag = less reloads and/or more choice regarding where to do reloads, which can both be huge in terms of saving time and thus improving your score.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've never thought to myself, or heard from anyone else, after a gunfight "I just had too many rounds in my pistol".

I have a Mec-Gar 20 rounder for the Canik. When I tried it with hot ammo in the TP9SF the reliability went way down (with 18s it's 100%). I think putting the same spring in a longer space decreased loading speed, and the hot ammo increased slide speed and got things kind of out of time. I've never played with Canik mags in a Walther, but it's something to watch out for.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you still want 20 round mags, I'm pretty sure Taylor Freelance makes a +6 extension for PPQ mags. I'm planning on getting a few at some point, maybe when my range mag baseplates start breaking after too many drops on concrete at USPSA matches.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you still want 20 round mags, I'm pretty sure Taylor Freelance makes a +6 extension for PPQ mags. I'm planning on getting a few at some point, maybe when my range mag baseplates start breaking after too many drops on concrete at USPSA matches.
Thanks, no it was just curiosity. Such extensions are fine for competitions but they just are inappropriate for carry. My P99 isn't a range weapon or a competition gun, its a carry weapon and the 18 rounders are flush fitting and 100% reliable. 18 rounds is adequate for carry (heck, I've even been known to carry 5 rounds in an 442).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts