Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I crazy to think that my newly bought ppq from gunbuyer.com is experiencing some excessive wear on the titanium nitride coated barrel I paid an extra 100 for? The pictures are with it completely cleaned, after only 200-250 rounds, cleaned the factory lube off and lubricated with hopps #9 oil according to factory specs before shooting the first round. Ive never seen a barrel wear this fast. Contacted gunbuyer about it, want to make sure I'm not being too anal before I take this a step further.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess it depends on what you want the gun for.

If you want to keep it for display, have it replaced.

If you want to shoot it, keep it.

Just shoot it like you stole it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not sure is Saturn, Space Gunner or Balance have a Gunbuyer custom edition?? I have the bronze version with approximately 1500 rounds through it and it shows now wear like your pics do. Granted mine is bronze and it is much darker than your Barrel. Also mine will exhibit those shadow marks but using CLP they come right off..... I suggest trying CLP

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Not sure is Saturn, Space Gunner or Balance have a Gunbuyer custom edition??
I do not.

But those wear marks are exactly what I would expect to see on the "black" version. I have yet to see or experience any firearm coating that doesn't show wear on the metal-to-metal contact surfaces after a few thousand rounds are put through the pistol.

If your barrel doesn't show those marks already, I'd expect to see them later on after more rounds are put through the pistol. Even hard chrome will show wear after enough use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bubbles...Maybe some other GB edition guys can confirm what you see or what I see as normal. If there is such a thing....
Thats pretty much the problem I have, I spent extra money coating the barrel and I see absolutely no difference between that and regular factory finish. And like I said only 200 rounds, just think it's kind of a rip off. Looks great now though, but well see how it looks after 5k

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Seems excessive to me for 200rds.

Here's my Q45 barrel after 1yr and over 5k rds (lubed with a touch of TW-25 grease the first 4k, WC Universal oil going forward).....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Thats pretty much the problem I have, I spent extra money coating the barrel and I see absolutely no difference between that and regular factory finish. And like I said only 200 rounds, just think it's kind of a rip off. Looks great now though, but well see how it looks after 5k
Wear is going to happen.

I'm not sure how you are going to fix the issue you have with the pistol. If you refinish it, and shoot it, it is going to come back. May as well just keep shooting.

I have to admit that I don't understand the purpose of coating the barrels on these pistols. I understand adding a strong outer coating on pistols that are prone to rust, but the slides and barrels on these pistols are nitrocarburized for corrosion resistance.

Are you concerned with corrosion, or is it just the look of it that is bothering you?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hey bubbles send me a PM (your cell or email address)and I will send you a picture of my Barrel. Or call GB and see what they say or happens? I recall they have a one year warranty on the barrel coating?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts