Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just added a gorgeous KKW to the herd.  Great wood, duffle cut, 98%, matching, SN < 200.  Thought I'd add this to the Walther page...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Bob,

That is a beautiful rifle you got there! I love the wood on it.

Have you or are you going to shoot it?

Devin

·
Registered
263 Posts
That is indeed a great looking rifle. I don't know anything about these rifles. Could you tell us more about it? When were they made, what caliber, how much they are worth?

It looks a lot like a 98K- is it a variant of this design?

-Yoshi

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The KKW was a .22 Nazi trainer designed jointly by Mauser, Walther, and Gustloff (BSW). It was designed to mimic the K98 in weight and operation with light ammo. While Gustloff made the most...Mauser and Walther each made only about 5,000.

Other types of nazi trainers were made and the better known model is the DSM34 which was made primarily by Mauser (though about 15 other companies actually made them in fewer copies).

KKW production started about 1938 and given the low SN on this one I suspect it was made in '38. It has a duffle cut stock so clearly it came home with a vet.

These guns, IMHO, are greatly underappreciated and not well known by many. Considering the production of the K98 @10 - 14 million, the KKW is just a blip on the radar screen with about ~85K total production.

I have been told that Walther KKWs are pretty scarce...small production @ 5K and many may have gone east. It might just be the only Walther KKW I ever see in my time!! This was an expensive piece that I "had to have" for my German trainer collection and was just too nice to let go. Walther also made about 11,000 DSM34s which are slightly more plentiful of which I have two or three.

Shooting...oh yeah! .22 ammo was never corrosive so bores are always in great shape. All the German trainers I have are tack drivers...Hope this helps.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Bob in OH,
Thanks for the info! I had not heard about these before so it was very nice to learn more about them. I think that rifle is in incredible shape for a pre-WWII made weapon, especially that stock...wow!

-Yoshi

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm glad you posted infor on your rifle.  You've helped me identify one that I have.  Mine is a little different though and maybe someone here can give me some info on it.  It looks almost identicle to yours... same stock, sights etc but mine has a strait rather than curved bolt handle.  Mine says Sportmodell on the action and also, "Waffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis Thuringen".  Number is 236xx.  There is a diamond cut patch in the stock that I assume is where the sling connection used to be.  Any ideas?

Bullseye

1 - 6 of 6 Posts