Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am considering buying a Walther P99 in 40SW for home defense. As I live in Brazil and there is no P99 selling here, I will buy it in Europe on my vacations.
Anybody knows if there is any diference between the Walthers P99 in .40SW sold in US from the ones sold in Europe? Are one better than other in terms of quality and reliability?

I would apreciate any comments on this subject.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Wow, you can buy a firearm in Europe and bring it home with you?

As for the gun question, all I've read on the forum indicates that a P99 is a P99 no matter where it's bought. Of course a US version will have some additional S&W markings on it but nothing that modifies the weapon functionally. If there was any difference I'd think the genuine article (i.e. one sold in Germany) is superior but I'm pretty sure they are the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Nocturnal,

Yes, we can buy a gun in Europe. Everyone can, all you have to do is get the Import Permit from your country and send it to the gun shop in Europe (Spain, in my case) and they will send the gun to the airport where the Air National Guard will check and put inside your marked luggage.
In Brazil all guns have to be registered. We have very restrictive gun laws and a big effort from the Government and Non Government Organizations to confiscate all firearms. Actually, in october we will have a public consult on forbid the commerce and production of all firearms and ammunitions, except for military and police. Black clouds on the horizon...

Airfix may be rigth, the European P99 may have the rear sight different, with a white outline instead of the two dots.

I just hope the magazines are not the same quality I see P99 owner in this forum complain about!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Gunmanguns,

Taurus makes most of its guns in Brazil and a few are assembled in US.
As it is going, it looks that Taurus will made and sell for brazilian military and police and export markets, the same with Magtech.
It is a shame Taurus is not making any lobby on brazilian congress and public campaigns and at the same time, contributes a lot with NRA in US.
Beware fellows US shooters and gun owners, the main Organization (called Viva Rio) that promotes anti and bun guns laws are financied by US foundation, as Ford, Rockfeller and Kellogs!!
And they are "exporting" the idea to other countries too, as Argentina and Uruguay.

As a note, do you know the 1911 Springfields are ALL MADE IN BRAZIL!!
Yes, it is made by IMBEL, a state owned factory of guns (1911 clones and FAL rifles). They are finished in Springfield Armory, but made and assembled in Brazil.
Here, we can pay U$550,00 for a 1911 .40sw Hicap in stainless stell. Not bad...

·
Registered
69 Posts
so are you saying that taurus is going to send handgun parts to be put together in the usa/or stop american production altogether?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gunmangus,

What will probably be is (after the public consult in october):
For you, in US, nothing will change.
Taurus will made complete guns, in Brazil, and export them to US and other markets. Some guns are made in Brazil and final assembled in US Taurus factory. It has been done like this for many years and will continues.
Imbel is another brazilian gun factory, mostly government owned. It produces the Springfield Armory 1911 clones and export to US to them for final finish and/or assemble will make ammo only for export and police and armed forces.

And them, after october, will begin the dark era for gun owners in Brazil, with good chance to this movment spread to other South America's contries and, finally, used as an example by US anti gun media, orgs. and politicians...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts