Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Well I'm now the proud owner of a NIB black 2005 P99 .40SW AS. I'd been itching to get one for a while and jumped on the chance when my local shop happened to have one in stock. I was so enthusiastic to grab one of the remaining AS trigger types I sold my HK P2000 v3 .40sw to raise the dough as I've actually come to prefer the Walther over the HK, (especially with HK's "we don't give a damn about you", civilian market customer service). I'll give a range report after I get the chance to take it out.
I do have a couple of questions to ask. First question is regarding carrying conditions. Is it safe to carry the P99 with the striker cocked but with the trigger all the way forward? This is of course predicated on the notion that this would be with a proper holster which completely covers the trigger. Second the Walther mags are drop free designed. My P99 will drop the mag when empty but does not completely drop the magazine with rounds remaingin in them. To illustrate, if the mag has rounds remaing the mag release will drop it far enough that it can easily be pulled out by hand but it will not fall from the pistol. Is this by design and normal? I could see them possibly doing this as a magazine hitting the floor creates the sound that indicates someone is reloading but I'm just curious. Also the mags require way more force to seat than the hk's did, also by design?
Lastly, when I changed the grip backstraps the grip warped slightly. The area of the grip just outside the pinhole bowed out slightly in the direction the pin was punched out. I used a 5/32" pin punch and hammer to get it out. It is not a major concern but has this ever happened to anyone else. It creates a slight discomfort on my palm but am inclined to think it might just mostly be in my mind because I know it's there and expect it. Should I attempt so file or shave it delicately or just leave it.
Thanks for your time guys. I'm excited and look forward to much enjoyment from this fine pistol. FYI Comp-tac rep said on phone that the company will most likely have holsters for the newer style p99's in march as demand for them is growing but could be delayed.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Welcome to the world of wally ownership. You'll like your gun alot, and once the trigger's broken in after a few hundred rounds at the range you'll be able to tell the difference even more so.

The safety system built into the P99 is comprable to that of the Glock. In other words, unless the trigger is actually pulled, there is no way the gun can fire. As long as your holster covers the trigger, it is safe to carry ready for action.

My mags drop free loaded or unloaded. I have a 9mm QA but the same should apply to your gun too. When the mag is topped off it's harder to insert and eject with the slide closed because the top round presses against the bottom of the slide and the mags are pretty tightly packed. I actually press the bottom of my mag up when unloading to releave tension on the mag catch before pressing the mag release. Kind of doubles as an extra check to make sure I didn't accidently rack the slide and then drop the mag (which I undersand is the number one reason Glock owners shoot themselves with their own guns).

When I changed my backstrap I supported the grip on a hockey puck (very usefull tool in firearms) and I haven't noticed any flex or bend at all in the frame. The plastic is quite rigid on mine. If you do decide to take a file/dremel/sandpaper/ whatever you can aproximatley restore the texture with a scotchbrite pad. I sculpted my trigger and guard like that and you can barley tell visually.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase of a fine firearm. I would try to tap the pin back out from the side where the bulge is, inspect the hole for burrs or damage, and re-insert the pin again from the side where you think the grip is bilged out. Although it goes without saying, I'll say it anyway - ensure that the gun is unloaded before you work on it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
On my 2005 .40S&W P99 AS the magazines drop free whether full, partially ful, or empty.

·
Registered
69 Posts
congrats on the p99. I also have a 2005 40 cal and the mags dropped free. However, it took loading and firing the mags multiple times before the mag springs loosened up enough so that I could load them to capacity. the springs are really stiff. Had to do the same on the additional mags I purchased a few months later (factory Mec Gar mags). As far as the backstrap, I could just lean into the punch with the frame against the bench and it would push the pin out. It wasn't necessary to whack it with a hammer. Thanks for the news from CompTac. I've bugged them a few weeks ago, and they said they were receiving more demand. Looks like its time to call them again.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I had to use the hammer routine to try out the different backstraps on mine - that pin is a tough little sucker to get out. I ended up keeping the back strap that was already on the gun, but I wanted to try them all out just 1x.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts