Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the December issue of "Firearms News" is found a particularly nondescript article on the production of Walther PP/PPKs from origin to today titled "Shaken Not Stirred" bu Partrick Sweeney. I would have tossed it if not for this interesting image of an blued engraved Walther PP in 9mmK with what look like ivory grip panels in a factory presentation case. The location was identified as "a military museum in Buenos Aires". It appears to be a factory issue presentation case, cleaning rod and flat bottom magazine. The caliber on the magazine seems to have been highlighted with whitener of some sort. But the three cartridges in the case seem to be marked .380 auto, so I think these are replacements. There appears to be some kind of a card next to the box and two gold letters are visible: Do.

Do we have any forum members from Argentina who might find out further information about this pistol,like the serial number? Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Argentine Firearms Museum

The museum is in Buenos Aires and is called: Museo de Armas de la Nation. It contains a lot of presentation guns from foreign governments to Generals and a few Presidents. Here's a link for their website:

Museo de Armas

One of the guns there:

FN Model 1899

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The museum is in Buenos Aires and is called: Museo de Armas de la Nation. It contains a lot of presentation guns from foreign governments to Generals and a few Presidents. Here's a link for their website:

Museo de Armas
Thank you for the answer. I had found another link and made an inquiry. That is a beautiful presentation Browning.

As noted by noted J.P. Sauer noted expert and author Jim Cate. Argentina provided an excellent pre-war market for fine German firearms. A serial number might help.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The Museo de Armas des la Nacion is in downtown Buenos Aires. It occupies a full city block in what was once the mansion of the owner of La Prensa, Argentina's most famous newspaper. The museum has extensive and spectacular collections. The displays are in stone-vaulted chambers in the basement level; classical music plays softly in the background. This is real class.

In the last half on the 19th and first half of the 20th centuries, Argentina was regarded by the world's arms makers as a lucrative market. The Army was deluged with samples that eventually went to the museum. One can find small arms there that are found nowhere else.

It is truly a jewel among the world's arms museums, and not to be missed if one travels to Argentina.

M

·
Registered
964 Posts
For a guy from the back woods of Virginia you sure get around Mike . Condolences on the recent extreme left turn the government of your state recently made ,the saber rattling ( is that an appropriate pc phrase in this instance ) , they are making in reference to gun control is disheartening . If you need to relocate , the backwoods of Arkansas remain free of such idiotic notions and will perpetually be so . It seems as if the carpetbaggers that descended on your fair state never left , or this is a new batch ? Ayb

·
Registered
479 Posts
Probably from the third reich who fled to Argentina at the wars end
I don’t know Argentina at all, but I am familiar enough with conditions in Germany 1945 to think that the possibility suggested by previous posts, namely that the pistol was legitimately ordered by or gifted to some high Argentine officer or plutocrat, is considerably more likely than a former Nazi risking his life unnecessarily by being caught trying to smuggle that thing out of Europe, which would both instantly blow any cover and could get him shot quickly.

Of course this is all speculation. If this were a museum in an English-language country, I’d bet that “DO ....” on the card says “donated by ... “. I think the Spanish word starts with the same letters, but someone really needs to look at the card ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,302 Posts
Probably from the third reich who fled to Argentina at the wars end
This was certainly the inference of the article's author.

The second article, by Will Dabbs, about Bond's guns, was more interesting.
Moon

·
Registered
24 Posts
We also can't forget that the German Cruiser "Admiral Graf Spee" was scuttled of the coast of Uruguay in 1939...., approximately 40 officers and a crew of around 1,000.

Most of these men ended up in Argentina with most of their personal belongings.

Kapitan Hans Langsdorff committed suicide 3 days later with his personal sidearm.

Just another one of the many possibilities..

Regards,

Mario

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts

Just another one of the many possibilities..

Equally unlikely.

The Museo de Armas has on display a Mauser Broomhandle s/n 109477, with a wooden shoulder stock, which --according to the label--belonged to Kapitan Langsdorf, implying that it is the one he shot himself with. The pistol is very ordinary in appearance and is said to have been donated to the museum by someone whose name I didn't bother to note. Its provenance, I concluded, was as muddy as the Rio Plate.

M

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update on Engraved Walther..

Well.., my contact in Argentina finally came through with my request .

After a couple of attempts to visit the Museum and finding it closed , they showed up yesterday and finally .., were able to locate this elusive Beauty !

I know..I know...you can't make out what the card says...., but fortunately they were at the Museum when they were sending me the Pics., and I requested Please.. to take a picture of the card in hopes that it would give us the evasive serial number...

But no Luck .

It only mentions who donated it to the Museum.., a General A. Arana..
Could not find any info on him, there was one A. Arana who was the one that started all the shooting ranges in the Country in preparation for a possible war with Chile .

Regards, Mario

1 - 11 of 11 Posts