Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
April 5, 2021 - Called Walther customer service, regarding PPQ discontinuation. Here's what he said:
"Mainline" is defined as: 9, 40, 45 and NAVY PPQ models with no optic cut and 4", 4.2" or 5" barrels. I did not ask about M1 vs M2, but I'm pretty sure they are both affected. I did not ask about any other model, such as the PPQ-SC, PPS, etc.

The mainline PPQ models will be slowly discontinued in 2021. You should be able to buy one through most of 2021, but they will be ramping down production as the year goes on, so some configurations may become unavailable sooner than others.
PPQ parts should continue to be available for "a good while", he could not define just how long.
Q4 & q5 are not affected, nor is the PPQ M2 .22.

Let's agree the pandemic will continue to affect availability, that was not part of the discussion.

Oh, Walther has heard of people putting the PDP slide on the PPQ grip, but does NOT recommend it.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Wonder how it affects the legendary life time warranty:

Our warranty provides unwavering support for your new firearm and continues for the life cycle of the product as long as the company manufactures and supports it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
April 5, 2021 - Called Walther customer service, regarding PPQ discontinuation. Here's what he said:
"Mainline" is defined as: 9, 40, 45 and NAVY PPQ models with no optic cut and 4", 4.2" or 5" barrels. I did not ask about M1 vs M2, but I'm pretty sure they are both affected. I did not ask about any other model, such as the PPQ-SC, PPS, etc.

The mainline PPQ models will be slowly discontinued in 2021. You should be able to buy one through most of 2021, but they will be ramping down production as the year goes on, so some configurations may become unavailable sooner than others.
PPQ parts should continue to be available for "a good while", he could not define just how long.
Q4 & q5 are not affected, nor is the PPQ M2 .22.

Let's agree the pandemic will continue to affect availability, that was not part of the discussion.

Oh, Walther has heard of people putting the PDP slide on the PPQ grip, but does NOT recommend it.
Isn’t the thing about the slide contrary to their video released a month ago, saying Walther plans to make slides interchangeable between the different lengths of PDP? Guess it’s a CYA kinda thing. Play at your own risk.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Wonder how it affects the legendary life time warranty:

Our warranty provides unwavering support for your new firearm and continues for the life cycle of the product as long as the company manufactures and supports it.
That's a damn good question.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Just spoke with Walther CS and received the following info (an email was promised by the CSA):

As described above the PPQ series has been discontinued except for the Q4 and Q5. However, Walther will continue to support all discontinued PPQ's for a period of 10 years per the Limited Lifetime Warranty. The catch is that support will cease as parts are no longer available. Walther is relying on the overlap between the PDP and PPQ parts to support the 10 year warranty continuing support. As parts become unavailable any issue with that part will exclude the associated PPQ (s) from qualifying for warranty service.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just spoke with Walther CS and received the following info (an email was promised by the CSA):

As described above the PPQ series has been discontinued except for the Q4 and Q5. However, Walther will continue to support all discontinued PPQ's for a period of 10 years per the Limited Lifetime Warranty. The catch is that support will cease as parts are no longer available. Walther is relying on the overlap between the PDP and PPQ parts to support the 10 year warranty continuing support. As parts become unavailable any issue with that part will exclude the associated PPQ (s) from qualifying for warranty service.
Sorry, but a ten year limited lifetime warranty is a contradiction in terms.
Either there is a warranty for the entire lifetime of a weapon, which experience has shown is significantly longer than 10 years.
But if the warranty is only 10 years, it cannot be called a lifetime warranty.
So, in my opinion, Limited Lifetime Warranty is just a stupid advertising slogan that Walther should avoid in this form.
This is also proven by Walther's statements about the warranty for the soon-to-be-discontinued PPQ.
It would be more honest to only speak of a 10 year warranty and omit the term lifetime.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Warranty Lifetime is for product lifetime.

The PPQ lifetime is apparently up to 10 yrs dependent upon parts availability.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's frustrating... Based on the PPQ purchase I JUST MADE, I was thinking of a PDP as my next firearm purchase. Now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
remember when coca cola came out with the "new coke?" coke drinkers got pissed! now we have coke "classic."
WTF walther... bring back the glock killer!
this is why i own g19's, remington 870's, and ruger 10-22's. i sold my 1911's to fund my USP's and HK45's collection. these firearms have been around for centuries and parts are still available. keep spare parts stocked up in the ammo boxes. time to stock up on ppq and p99 parts. 👍

·
Registered
267 Posts
"Where am I going to be able find parts for my 1911 ten years from now?" - Said no one ever :LOL:

I'd hope that if your PPQ has a part that requires replacement but is discontinued/forever out of stock that Walther would step up and trade you in for a PDP. Of course when the Walther phased plasma rifle (40 watt range) comes out I wouldn't expect them to honor a warranty on a PPQ.

These things do get discontinued. Try asking Smith and Wesson OR Walther for a SW99 45ACP recoil spring assembly. They don't have any. Most of those pistols aren't even 20 years old and some common parts are simply unavailable except for old stock.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
"Where am I going to be able find parts for my 1911 ten years from now?" - Said no one ever :LOL:

I'd hope that if your PPQ has a part that requires replacement but is discontinued/forever out of stock that Walther would step up and trade you in for a PDP. Of course when the Walther phased plasma rifle (40 watt range) comes out I wouldn't expect them to honor a warranty on a PPQ.

These things do get discontinued. Try asking Smith and Wesson OR Walther for a SW99 45ACP recoil spring assembly. They don't have any. Most of those pistols aren't even 20 years old and some common parts are simply unavailable except for old stock.
What we need is a part cross reference chart between the PDP and PPQ. Those parts that are PPQ only are the ones that PPQ owners will start buying for replacement stock and that will subsequently reduce the 10 year warranty to much less.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My PPQ M2 45 is a year old and I'm not happy about the 10 year thing. I don't shoot it much but still...
Another reason to buy Glocks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Out of curiosity I have a question for long time (10 years +) pistol owners. How many part failures have you encountered that required a factory replacement part?
I just sent in a new S&W Shield Plus to S&W for a repair on a gun that wasn't even fired yet. Also had issues fixed with my wife's first LCPII. The problems were right out of the gate, though.
You do make a valid point.

Reactions: TT86

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't mean to be insensitive to those on a tight budget, but realistically speaking, we're talking about pistols that are mostly under $700 here. I feel like 10 years of support is certainly fair. If my PPQ broke and was unable to be fixed in 2030, I would just buy the current model(assuming they are still legal).

1 - 20 of 83 Posts