Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a few bucks I'd stored away in my safe for an emergency and forgotten about until I started cleaning my safe, so I determined my PPK needs an emergency set of grips. The stock ones are fine, but what the hell, I'm not getting any younger and I do appreciate good-looking wooden grips. My pistol is a SS Interarms, and initial searching is almost all for S&W and Ft. Smith grips. Any suggestions? Nothing flashy, and no laminated faux wood.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Grips4U makes some great grips for Walthers: GRIPS4u.net

Make sure you find the right set of grips as they have a complete selection.

Here is my Ranger PPK sporting a set of Grips4U.

As you can see they look very nice on the weapon. BTW, I have a number of Grips4U sets for various Walthers. Before I mount them I heat a little Ballistol and apply it to the grips. I allow that to soak in over night. It is a good treatment for the wood.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great. Never thought about Ballistol for that purpose. But the scent of Ballistol to me is very off-putting. Smells like licorice and BO.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
It dissipates quickly but you could always use orange oil.
In fact many folks don't bother to treat the wood at all. I treat mine because my weapons do get carried and will be next to my sweaty hip.

I'm one of the folks who like the smell of Ballistol. We use it around the house on leather work, our weapons and some wood.

Still the Grips4U are a nice option for your weapon and I doubt you'll need to do any fitting at all if you go this route.

Reactions: GonzoGeezer

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just finished oiling the stock on my M1A with raw (not boiled) Linseed oil. Protects the gun and smells great. Takes a while to dry, but not all that long...1-2 days. I only used raw oil because that's what we used in the army for M 14 stocks. Not a hard, glass-like finish, but soft and clean. That's what they used in the armories back in the wood stock days. Boiled LO has hardeners/dryers in it that changes the chemical signature, I've heard. I believe that because it's poisonous, raw is not.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Keep us posted about what grips you decide to go with and post some images of your weapon with them mounted.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, that's what I ordered. Should be getting them in early July. got a call from Germany regarding them on voicemail. Apparently, they mass-ship once monthly to reduce shipping costs.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ivory grips are a bit ostentatious and don't look "right" on a non-engraved pistol. Even if I could afford them, I'd go wood or plastic.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There also Nill grips for PPK out there.
Yup. My Interarms PPK wears Nill Grips. I love them on that gun...and they also solved the bit of beaver tail bite that I was getting every time I shot the gun. The grips are expensive but worth it on that particular gun. I’ve also used Grips4U on my old CZ but I’m sticking with Nill for my PPK models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts