Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not a Walther question- Gasp!

I'm looking at getting some new hearing protection. I've been thinking of getting a pair of electronic ear muffs that compress loud sounds (i.e. gunfire) and yet allow the wearer to hear other sounds (i.e. conversation). -I'd probably tend towards muffs with slimmer cups so I can shoot long guns.

I have had some experience with Pro Ears' and Peltor's. It's been mixed. Does anyone have direct experience with electronic active hearing protection and if so do you have any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I love my Peltor Tac-7 set I've had for a couple of years. They are great. If I bought another pair, I'd probably get the less expensive Tac 6s. I only have direct experience with Peltor and it has been great so far.

James

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would like a definitive answer about this (can't trust salesman you know):  Is the Peltor Tac-7 and kin really "active" hearing protection?  Or are they just amplifiers and speakers that shut off (thereby kicking in the passive protection) when loud noises happen?  I surmise from the literature that I've been able to find that they do not offer true "active" protection.  Let me tell you what I mean by this.

True active protection first senses noise.  Then a signal is generated exactly 180 degrees out of phase with this noise and fed into the earphones.  Because of limitations in the electronics (and I'm sure price plays a role) active protection is usually limited to lower frequencies.  You get around 15 db and more of protection beyond that of the passive protection offered with this type of "ear muff".  Now passive protection is usually around 20 to 25 db then you add the 15 or more db of active protection and end up with 35 to 40 db of total protection.

The best of the Peltor Tac type hearing protectors seem to have only about 20 to 23 db protection (or thereabouts, can't remember exactly without digging the brochures up) so I'm thinking they don't actually offer "active" hearing protection.  Plus, I have not seen in their literature that they actually say that they employ active protection (although in some catalogs they do).

Add the fact that other "active" hearing protection costs $500+ (David Clark, Bose, Telex, etc.) whereas the Peltor's cost around $300 and all of this leads me to believe that they are just fancy passive protection ear muffs.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Okay, the Peltor Tac-7 does not meet your definition of "active" or what I would call "noise-cancelling" ala the Bose or others. It meets my definition of "active" being one that uses batteries, amplifies quiet signals so you can hear better, and squelches electronically LOUD QUICK noises like gunshots.

Peltor has a new set that has 26db specs, vs the Tac-7's 23db. But in my usage, they are very good for range use, especially if taking a CHL Instructors class or giving a CHL class.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't mean to put the Tac-7 down. I'm sure it is very useful. But, I wasn't quite sure if it was really "active". Thanks.

Ersin

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the Pro Ears about a yr ago on sale in the $150 range so I bought em.. Theydon't click on/off. If theres alot of shooting or big calibers shooting then I use plugs and the pro ears too. just turn the volume up so uyou can hear talking.
I used a set I forget what kind and they clicked on/off, you get used to it, but I like the pro ears better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I dont know if this helps much, but we have a similer thing in avation, active noise-canceling headsets and regular headsets. I've found that the active-noise reducing ones really do work as advertised, but unless you are ready to pony up about a grand, it's absolutely NOT worth it to get any of the $400-600 dollar headsets in place of the "top of the line". I have a nice $150 headset that I got and it seems to eliminate just as much noise as ANY other non-active heaset up to about at least $500 bucks. In my opinion, it wont be worth it untill I have the extra grand laying around for the Bose X headset.

I know this isn't exactly the same, but airplanes are LOUD and I have found that it isn't worth it to spend money on the "intermediate" stuff, pony up to the top-of-the-line and it is worth it, but only if you are prepared to spend that kind of cash....

·
Registered
78 Posts
got a set of Pro-Ears.  no "clicking".  got mine from the Cabella's bargain center for $79.  they were used, but i picked through and found the best pair out of about 50.  i have the Dimension I - Stalker.  it is only NRR-20, so if i shoot indoors i use a set of plugs as well.

Dimension I info

1 - 8 of 8 Posts