Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ejector and the little triangle-shaped wire came off my S&W .380 PPK.
Can anyone tell me the correct way to reinstall the ejector and wire spring?

TIA

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm pretty sure the little bent end of the spring should be "up", with the elbow pointing downrange. Last time I had mine out, I installed it with the little bent end down (going into the top of the ejector), and it functions fine. It seems to stay put better too. Maybe wiser heads than mine will give you a clearer reply.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I'm pretty sure the little bent end of the spring should be "up", with the elbow pointing downrange. Last time I had mine out, I installed it with the little bent end down (going into the top of the ejector), and it functions fine. It seems to stay put better too. Maybe wiser heads than mine will give you a clearer reply.
The little curl on the end of the ejector spring does in fact go "up". If you examine the recess in the left side of the frame where the ejector fits, you'll see a little slot in the top wall that the curl snaps into to keep the ejector in the frame when the slide is removed. The bottom leg of the spring also is (or should be) factory staked onto the ejector.

Unless, if course, S&W's ex-Maine dairy workers failed to cut the slot or stake the spring.

M

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spring is not staked on mine. I just dropped it into the slot in the ejector and angled it into the frame. Doesn't feel like its going to stay put very long when the slide is removed again.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Spring is not staked on mine. I just dropped it into the slot in the ejector and angled it into the frame. Doesn't feel like its going to stay put very long when the slide is removed again.

Same here ... Mine has come out 2 more times since I first posted on the subject. I have to ship the gun back for another reason here soon, so I think I will have them look at the ejector as well. I will put in my letter "staking the spring" and see where that gets me.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Is the little semicircular spring engagement slot present in the top wall of the ejector recess, or has S&W omitted that as well?

M

·
Registered
361 Posts
Is the little semicircular spring engagement slot present in the top wall of the ejector recess, or has S&W omitted that as well?

M
There is slot in the top of the ejector bar that the spring sits in. There is also a slot in the top of the frame recess for the ejector bar. When you sit the spring in ejector bar, the curled end is sticking up to slide into the frame. Once you try to put the ejector bar back in the spring moves around in the ejector bar till it seats itself in the place of least resitance.

Does that help describe? I don't have it in front of me, but I can take a close up later today if needed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Same here ... Mine has come out 2 more times since I first posted on the subject. I have to ship the gun back for another reason here soon, so I think I will have them look at the ejector as well. I will put in my letter "staking the spring" and see where that gets me.
I put mine in upside-down (little curl down into the ejector), and it stays put better now than when it was installed correctly. It wasn't staked to start with and the ejector would flop out of the frame every time the slide was removed, usually sending the spring to the floor. Still functions perfectly.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
There is slot in the top of the ejector bar that the spring sits in. There is also a slot in the top of the frame recess for the ejector bar. When you sit the spring in ejector bar, the curled end is sticking up to slide into the frame. Once you try to put the ejector bar back in the spring moves around in the ejector bar till it seats itself in the place of least resitance.

Does that help describe? I don't have it in front of me, but I can take a close up later today if needed.
I was only curious. No need for a picture; I know what the tiny slot is SUPPOSED to look like: it is present on any Walther or Interarms gun: it's a half-moon cut about 3/16th" long, designed to trap the little curled end of the top leg of the ejector spring. It's a pretty straightforward arrangement, and once installed correctly, the ejector might (if disturbed) move out very slightly when the slide is removed, but it won't pop loose unless you insert a thin instrument into the upper space and disengage the little curled end of the spring. And the spring won't fly away because it's staked in place on the ejector. As I said, that's on a German, French or Interarms-made gun.

I have no idea what S&W has done or failed to do. I was only trying to help.

M

I have no idea what S&W has or has not done

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if I came across a Interarms or other manufacture ejector bar if I could install that on my S&W and cure this little problem since most likely the spring would be staked in there and wouldn't come out so easy ...

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was only curious. No need for a picture; I know what the tiny slot is SUPPOSED to look like: it is present on any Walther or Interarms gun: it's a half-moon cut about 3/16th" long, designed to trap the little curled end of the top leg of the ejector spring. It's a pretty straightforward arrangement, and once installed correctly, the ejector might (if disturbed) move out very slightly when the slide is removed, but it won't pop loose unless you insert a thin instrument into the upper space and disengage the little curled end of the spring. And the spring won't fly away because it's staked in place on the ejector. As I said, that's on a German, French or Interarms-made gun.

I have no idea what S&W has done or failed to do. I was only trying to help.

M

I have no idea what S&W has or has not done
That got me thinking ... on my S&W the ejector bar has a half moon cut out in it that the spring rests in, but on the frame recess it is a straight slot. From you description there should be a half moon on the frame as well? Am I reading this correctly?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
That got me thinking ... on my S&W the ejector bar has a half moon cut out in it that the spring rests in, but on the frame recess it is a straight slot. From you description there should be a half moon on the frame as well? Am I reading this correctly?
From YOUR description, it sounds like those ex-tit pullers got VERY confused and reversed the location of the cuts. The ejector should have the long straight slot on its upper edge, staked next to its circular boss at the front; the frame should have a half-moon slot in the rear upper wall of the ejector recess.

MOOOO!

M

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am sure you can't really tell by these pictures, but the original way I have spring installed is seen is this picture below.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj178/ispeed/DSC00762.jpg

This set up causes the ejector bar to push out a little and makes it very easy to dislodge when the slide is off and cleaning the gun. It functions fine and haven't had any failure to eject.

I have sinced turned the spring around and installed the opposite way with the curled end in the ejector bar and the straight side in the frame. It seems to hold in better this way, but I haven't fired the gun. I did run a magazine full of snap caps through and it did fine.

The other two pictures are showing the ejector bar and frame. You can't really tell in the picture as I couldn't get the light just right, but in the top of bar it is a half moon shape that the spring rests in. Of couse it is deeper in the center than on the edges.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj178/ispeed/DSC00768.jpg

The frame slot is seen here. I apologize if it looks dirty. It truly isn't, but thats the lighting. The frame slot is a straight slot. It is no deeper at any point along this cut out. It is only flat. The dark spot at the end in the picture is a shadow and not an indention to accept the curled end of the spring.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj178/ispeed/DSC00764.jpg

Now, is this the same as the Interarms and Walther Guns? If not, since I took the suggestion of Heavy Handed and installed opposite than before, it feels more solid right now.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shot the PPK and it worked OK, except for the DA on the last round which popped up when I installed the Wolff recoil spring

1 - 18 of 18 Posts