Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be different contours to the ejection port on the PPQ. I assume mine has a old style even tho i just bought it brand new. Is there is a reason why they changed? Did the old style cause reliability issues?

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
Its true, there was a change in the ejection port design. I've never heard a reason why. I have some of each (original and new port configuration)....they ALL run like the energizer bunny.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i was hoping. I assume it was just cosmetic. The newer style looks better. but i got the ppq for a steal.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I believe they did it when they made the PPQ 45, then added the change(s) to the other PPQ variants.

There's other differences in the slide, they won't interchange and work reliably, if at all.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I believe they did it when they made the PPQ 45, then added the change(s) to the other PPQ variants.
I remember that these redesigned slides started showing up on PPQ pistols here, after the Taiwan Police awarded a contract to Walther for the PPQ. The picture of the contract pistol had changes from previous PPQ pistols. These changes then seemed to trickle into all of the production PPQ pistols.

The Taiwan contract pistols had the redesigned slide, and polygonal rifling. I assumed at the time that these changes were made to win that contract. Strangely, these were labeled as "PPQ M2" pistols even though they had a paddle mag release.

There seems to be different contours to the ejection port on the PPQ. I assume mine has a old style even tho i just bought it brand new. Is there is a reason why they changed? Did the old style cause reliability issues?
It may have been to add strength to the slide. This is the one and only cracked PPQ slide that I've seen or heard of, and I mentioned in this thread that the redesign may have prevented this. I believe that it may have if the crack was to start at the top of the ejection port:

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/50953-ppq-cracked-slide.html

Keep in mind that the PPQ had been selling like crazy since 2011, at least five years before this redesign. Also keep in mind that the P99Q uses the same slide profile and has been sold to police and military agencies since 2008. This is the one and only cracked slide that I've heard of. Multiple members here have reported putting tens of thousands of rounds through multiple examples of these pistols with the earlier slides, with no issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts