Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 4 years ago I came across a PPK at my local Cabelas. When I asked to see it the guy helping me said to another worker "I knew that wouldn't take long." When I asked him what he meant by that he said they had just put it under glass in the past 30 minutes. It was in decent shape, although there was some moderate surface rust on about 20% of the slide. It had the original grip on it which was in excellent condition. I wasn't super in to Walthers at that point but I knew enough that this gun had the 90 deg. safety and it was an early one. For the sum of $457 I took it home with me. I had it for maybe 5 months and the rust on the slide was bugging me, so (you'll hate this part!) I had it refinished. The first gunsmith I took it to did a VERY poor job of it, so I sent it to another company out of state. I enclosed specific instructions to do the least polishing of metal possible before reblueing it but apparently they couldn't read very well. The inscription on the left side of the slide is quite readable but "soft".
I realize now I should have kept is "as-is", but hindsight is always 20/20. Anyway the sn. on this PPK is 770239. Does this mean it's the 239th PPK to have been manufactured?

·
Registered
852 Posts
No, it wasn't the239th to be made. PPs started at 750 000 and the number run was shared with PPKs. So we really have no idea what the production order number of your pistol would be.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Charts can make mistakes. I have a Reichsbank PPK in the 753xxx range. There are earlier numbers reported.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts