Walther Forums banner

Early 1940 PP

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Duncanppk 
#1 ·
I wanted to share with you all a photo of the PP a close family friend brought home after his tour in Europe. Jack Sheppard JR an officer in the 712 Tank division acquire it. Upon returning home to Tampa he placed it, still in its leather holster in his safe. It sat inside until his passing. His brother Joe assumed guardianship. Joe passed it to me after his passing last month. It’s marked RJ on front strap. You can just make out the eagle/N but no serial # on slide. It has one original mag, again no serial #. Big lesson here is leather and metal don’t work together ! 74 years inside the holster pretty much killed the finish. I contacted Earl yesterday and made arrangements for him to go over the old girl and replace the springs as needed. Double action does not work. It is very accurate. The holster is a bonus. Thanks for looking..Jack

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
1940s PP

I have a PP in 32 acp made in 1940. Mine also had damage on the slide, unknown if it was due to holster storage. It cleaned up nicely and is a great shooter. Please give us more info on your pistol, and pictures of it. Also, pictures of the back and inside of the holster.

These are great pistols. Made at the zenith of Walther manufacturing and I wish I had more info on how mine came to the U.S. I had a neighbor who was in the 101st Airborne. He jumped at D-Day and was in all the major battles of WW2 in Europe. He had some prime bring backs, one was an ornate PP. When he paused the trail of that pistol disappeared for me. If you can get info on your PP write it down. If these pistols could talk we would know these histories. Try to get a record of yours.

Good luck with the repairs.

Duncan

#5 ·
I spoke to Earl this week and made arrangements for him to look the gun over. It will not fire in double action, fine in single. The bore is exceptionally bright with little signs of wear. Looking forward to getting it back...thanks for looking..Jack

Attachments

#6 ·
Early 1940s PP

Wow, your slide is severely pitted. Mine was not quite as bad. However the damage was in the same areas. Mine must had been similarly stored. Also, "Bubba" had tinkered with mine. I needed to correct the loaded indicator spring and the magazine spring. Both had been installed backwards. Mine is a great shooter so I am happy.

Best of luck on yours, Earl is one of the best. Keep it oiled and clean. I would not attempt the have it restored as the damage is part of its history. Remember the advice above, don't store it in the holster.

Duncan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.