Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What paperwork came in the very early PPK boxes? In my extremely limited knowledge, I have seen this manual, but I thought I saw where it was dated around 1937. So, was there a different manual or other paperwork in the real early boxed PPK's, or did they have the pictured manual and it was just dated earlier? Thanks.
Larry

Premium Member
The only paperwork that came with the pistol was the manual. There was at least one earlier version than the common one in your picture. That older manual had a white and orange text only cover. I've never seen the inside of that one so I don't know if the contents were any different.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only paperwork that came with the pistol was the manual. There was at least one earlier version than the common one in your picture. That older manual had a white and orange text only cover. I've never seen the inside of that one so I don't know if the contents were any different.
Anybody got some pictures of this manual? Thanks.
Larry

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That older manual had a white and orange text only cover. I've never seen the inside of that one so I don't know if the contents were any different.

Try Paperwork (you have to scroll down).
Redcat94, I believe this is the one that Martin is steering me to. Is it the one you were thinking about?
Larry

Premium Member
Redcat94, I believe this is the one that Martin is steering me to. Is it the one you were thinking about?
Yes, that's it. But the manual pictured in one of my books is a much cleaner copy with the colors still bright.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes, that's it. But the manual pictured in one of my books is a much cleaner copy with the colors still bright.
Looking at it's shape, I am wondering if it is the correct size to fit in the early PPK boxes. It looks the correct width, but it looks too long to me. It might fit if it was folded in half, but I don't see a crease in the middle of the paperwork. There had to be some kind of manual/brochure in the early (1930-31) PPK boxes though.
Larry

Registered
You will notice (if you clean your glasses ;)), that the example shown on Pistole38.nl was creased in the middle...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will notice (if you clean your glasses ;)), that the example shown on Pistole38.nl was creased in the middle...
You know Martin, you are right. I cleaned my glasses, and there the crease was! Have you ever seen one for sale? Thanks.
Larry

Registered
I saw some examples offered on German eGun from time to time, but it's rare and expensive.

Premium Member
Keep an eye on Legacy Collectibles. Tom often has old Walther paper in the book section of his web store. You could also send him an email letting him know what your looking for.

Registered
It is apparent the manuals were downsized over the years from this undated but perhaps 1931 early example linked and shown above, through the 1935, 1936 and 1939 manual shown above..

Reactions: boykinlp

Premium Member

This undated manual was not printed before 1932, despite the reference to the "new pistols" and the old style magazine extension. On the back pages one excerpt from a letter of commendation by a customer mentions a serial number:

The wording of another text gives another hint, because it references to the year 1930 not with the expression "seit letztem Jahr" or "seit vorletztem Jahr" but explicitly and complicatedly "seit dem Jahre 1930". I'd conclude that no native speaker would have used such a phrasing before 1933.

Does anybody know how the first PP manuals looked like? Maybe the first PPK models were delivered with such an exemplar.

Registered
As far as we know by now (serial number) you are right. We do not know circulation of this manual in its timeframe.

Registered
I noticed the time frame clues in the customer comments, that curiously were undated, whereas the earliest comments in manuals I have are dated 1935. But that manual is without printing date. The publication could have been the same year or the following year to account for prep and prodution.

Although earlier Walther pistols had proper manuals, perhaps the first included with the PP and PPK was a folded instrution sheet which would have a minimal chance of survival.

Reactions: boykinlp

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Although earlier Walther pistols had proper manuals, perhaps the first included with the PP and PPK was a folded instrution sheet which would have a minimal chance of survival.
Joe, I can see where that makes sense, but to me (a complete newbie), that might have lasted for the first few weeks or maybe even 3-4 months, but I would figure Walther would not let their "new" pistols to go very long without detailed complete paperwork. Since the PP (a very similar pistol) had been around for a year or more earlier, paperwork for the PPK should have been pretty easy to do. Am I wrong in my thinking? I am posting this to try to keep the discussion going. Thanks.
Larry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts