Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you like getting ripped off, get an Earls trigger job.
He has screwed over several members here with his imaginary trigger jobs.
Buy 500 rounds of ammo and shoot your way to a good trigger.
You'll be money ahead, and have a better trigger to boot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does he not do anything to the gun? Or does he just install the lighter spring set? He offered a trigger job to me for $85 and told me he would do it while I wait if I wanted to hang around for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
411 Posts
There was a thread about earls trigger jobs a long time back.
Basically he doesn't do anything but install a $1 spring and *maybe* polish some parts.
Most definately a rip off at $85.
That's 8 boxes of Winchester bulk pack ammo.
The 800 rounds would give you a far better trigger than anything Earls will do.
Here is an old thread on trigger jobs.
http://www.gothammarketing.com/ikon....ger+job

·
Registered
231 Posts
Learn from my mistake, Earls "trigger job" is a total scam. Stick with the factory trigger. Trust me, in 500-1000 rounds you won't even be thinking about a trigger job.

-Chris

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thank you all for your replies pertaining to Earl's. As I drive through the town he is in on my way to and from work every day and having a P99 that is the best pistol I have had in 43 years of shooting, I thought I would visit his shop one day. I brought a couple hundred dollars in cash with me thinking I might pick up some accessories or something. However, his prices on everything were not just high, they were outragiously high to the point of being insulting to any knowledgeable shopper. He must think we are all dopes. I believe in stores making a FAIR profit as I want the shops I patronize to stay in business. However, Earl's so called shop is in a rear area of a garage building way off the main roads so his overhead should be extremely low compared to most of the shops I go to, so really no reason for his outragiously high prices other than he may think we are all a bunch of dopes who do not know any better than to waste our money. So thank you all for confirming that my own experiences and initial opinions of Earl's were correct.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's unfortunate that Earl conducts business the way he does.  Although I have purchased some good accessories through him, having a $25 minimum for orders is not customer friendly.  He then has a miminum shipping charge of $8.  -What if I'm ordering his custom night sights?  While they're expensive (and quite good), I know they don't cost $8 to ship.

Ultimately, Earl's policies seem self-defeating to me.  I have seen at least several people on the board post that they want one thing (such as the radiused screwdriver for the rear sights, a $3 item, or a T-shirt, a $20 item) and complain about the minimum amount deterring them from making the purchase.  I understand minimum orders to a point because it's a waste of time and money to send someone down to the post office to mail a $3 screwdriver.  However, there's a simple solution to that-  Buy a bunch of padded envelopes at Office Depot and use a Pitney Bowes postal meter to weigh and punch out the postage stamps.  -It borders on moronic to pass up selling a $20 T-shirt because a person refuses to waste $5 just for the honor of Earl processing the order.

I guess his practices will eventually catch up with him.  Maybe they already have.  As I understand it, he lost out as Walther's American distributor.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I would have been raising some #### with Earl had that ruined a frame on my P99.

My only guess is that he is ignorant of the fact that maybe it's not to be used on the .40S&W P99's.

It's too bad he didn't ask Germany about it.

As far as the rip-off trigger job, I have a very nice trigger on my current P99. Better than on my first. When he told me what the job entails I said "No thanks" An $85 job for a three dollar spring and pulling the fire assembly and two minutes on the buffer.

About seven years ago I was going to pay him a visit at his shop. From near St. Louis, no other reason than to drop in and say "Hi" and see what he had. No more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Herr Walther @ Mar. 26 2004,1:31)]I would have been raising some #### with Earl had that ruined a frame on my P99.
Had I been in his jurisdiction, I would likely have sued in small claims.  However, suing a US business from Canada is not cost-effective.  There's the value of my time to consider as well.

No worries.  Had he just made it right, I'd be raving about the service.  Instead, everyone gets to see pictures of the frame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts