Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to report on my recent experience with Earl. Called and spoke to Jody his assistant. She took down the information about the PP needing work (would not fire in double action). Earl then got on the phone and asked me numerous questions about the gun, confirming it was manufactured in early 1940 with the RJ stamped deeply into the front strap. One week later I received the gun back today. Work in tailed replacing all the springs , returning the pins into proper locations and making and fitting a plug into the missing lanyard port. I would recommend Earl to anyone with an older Walther needing work..Jack

·
Registered
136 Posts
Earl's

Great review on your experience. As I have stated many times there are repairs that should be done by an expert gunsmith and not by an owner. You made a wise decision to go this route.

A qualified smith can correct problems and has the training and knowledge to complete repairs with excellent results. If you go through the years of posts on this forum Earl has been here.

Now you have a weapon that is repaired by one of the best. I hope you have years of enjoyment with your 'new" Walther.

Duncan

·
Registered
448 Posts
Great review on your experience. As I have stated many times there are repairs that should be done by an expert gunsmith and not by an owner. You made a wise decision to go this route.

A qualified smith can correct problems and has the training and knowledge to complete repairs with excellent results. If you go through the years of posts on this forum Earl has been here.

Now you have a weapon that is repaired by one of the best. I hope you have years of enjoyment with your 'new" Walther.

Duncan
Earl Sheehan IS the BEST!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Had to replace the loaded round indicator spring on mine. Earl's was on it, even told me I had difficulty replacing it, to call him up and he'd walk me through it. Which I didn't need to do, but it was nice of him to offer it. Shipping was a bit costly, but I got the part the next day. He knows PP-series pistols. Nice guy.

Website needs an update, so don't give up if you don't see it on the site at first.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Earl

Earl brought my Walther #1 back to life. The barrel cover was apparently used as a hammer, the mag would not seat due to a broken spring (which he then manufactured) and he generally tidied it up and test fired it. These pistols are not extremely valuable, but try to find one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does he work on Interarms PPK/S? Mine is malfunctioning stove piping the round. If so, Contact information will appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Does he work on Interarms PPK/S? Mine is malfunctioning stove piping the round. If so, Contact information will appreciated.
Save your money and start here:

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-pp-tp/17157-troubleshooting-failure-feed.html

Especially post #10 thereof, which discusses failures to extract or eject. There are plenty of cheap and simple low-tech steps one can take that may cure such problems before resorting to more sophisticated (and costly) outside help.

M

·
Registered
23 Posts
Save your money and start here: .

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-pp-tp/17157-troubleshooting-failure-feed.html

Especially post #10 thereof, which discusses failures to extract or eject. There are plenty of cheap and simple low-tech steps one can take that may cure such problems before resorting to more sophisticated (and costly) outside help.

M

I second this.

I picked up a used PPK/S rather cheap. Interarms - 1981. No scratches or finish wear. Just two mags, no box or anything. Really beautiful example. The shop I bought it from said they would take it back if I didn't like it or if I had problems, so I thought what do I have to lose. I got home and did a quick cleaning, nothing special.

Then first time out to shoot it, I ran into malfunctions. I thought this was why someone got rid of it.

I took it apart again and went through a deep, detail cleaning. QTips, pipe cleaners, brushes, patches, lots of Hoppes and Ballistol. In fact, once I got into it, every nook and cranny I found was just dirty. I took apart the mags too - holy smokes they were bad inside. I ended up covering parts of the gun and mags in foaming bore solvent, and letting everything sit over night in a zip lock bag.

When I put it back together, I made sure every spot was lubed properly. I use TW25B grease on the "rails". I can't say that makes a difference but I use that on most my FA.

Since then, at the range - ZERO malfunctions. I probably have put 300 rounds in it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks. The malfunction I am experiencing is a failure to load the round into the chamber, which locks the slide against an almost vertical round.. I will try as advised, but if anyone has any tips about this type of malfunction, would appreciate insights. Thanks again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've bought from Earl several times and been pleased everytime. His prices are retail to as high as retail + 10%-20%. Having said that, he usually has what is needed and it is righteous. I am willing to pay a premium to get what I want and I know I am not alone in that thinking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Expensive ? I don’t believe so considering his experience level.
Sure, I wasn't referring to his repair work.

I've done enough business with Earl over the years to know that he's undoubtedly the stateside Walther authority. His prices on the handful of parts and firearms that can still be sourced elsewhere are typically much higher. I understand why. It doesn't affect my opinion of him, it just prompts me to shop around first.

·
Registered
30 Posts
His prices are retail to as high as retail + 10%-20%. I am willing to pay a premium to get what I want and I know I am not alone in that thinking.
It's clear that there's a market willing to pay a premium; I'm a member of that group when my options are limited.

It's not always retail pricing Earl is competing with, but market price. One example: the going rate for a NIB German Gen 1 P99 has hovered around $650-700 for many years. From Earl, $999. Much more than a 20% premium.

I'm not debating Earl's pricing rationale. I understand it and am all behind pricing at what people are willing to pay. My point is the more budget-conscious do have other sourcing options for some items. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts