Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I was wondering. Why are the P99 at Earl's so much more expensive, than the P99s at your local gun shop? Are they of a higher quality?

Thanks,

WPM

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
No. He is a small importer, so it costs him more. I read a while back that prev he was allowed to import directly from Walther. Supposedly, he now has to buy his guns from someone else, and THEN import them. I believe it has to do w/ the S&W contract - exclusive rights or something (to come directly from Walther).

U are right - his prices are ridiculous.

But, while the A/S is supposedly comeing back, I have yet to see any new ones since S&W stopped importing that model. SO, he is someone U would have to eventually deal w/ for an A/S if S&W doesn't start selling them again.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I do belive that Earl is still able to buy directly from Walther..... since he is the ONE that deals with all the Walther target weapons and anything that is not P99/P22 related to Walther (original Walther holsters, airguns and so forth)
My 2 cents worth.... yes he is a smal shop, goes directly to Germany, picks up his stuff and imports it himself......
I have said this many times before, and to some I may sound like a broken record.... If you go to the German Walther page and look at the MSR  for the P99 in Euro's (over 700) his price isn't all that bad.... I doubt he gets the price discount S&W gets.... so after importing and converting American Dollar to Euro his prices are not that high.....
Also his P99's come with different sights (metal ones with the "U" shape rear sight......)
plus there is people that will pay more for the P99 alone just to not have the S&W importmark on the slide.
Earl will argue the fact that his P99's are all german made and S&W's imported P99 is not.... but I say that is BS .... but that is another long story that I don't want to get into

I have bought a few things from him (no gun as of yet) and have nothing but good things to say about about him. His knoledge and timely shipping is just unsurpased..... if you look around some of his stuff is not all that bad in price ....
He will be around for some time to come... and is the one person that will have what you need in stock if S&W doesn't have it or if you have a older Walther.

I know it was a long rant... and some was not directly related to your question WPM... but it's a bigger picture than just a P99 when it comes to Earl's..... so it comes down to what you want and what it is worth it to you to have the metal sights and no S&W importmark......

As to what shipwreck said.... the P99/AS has been taken of the Waltheramerica webpage for some time now... but already at the SHOT show they told people that the P99/AS will be back and imported.... not to long ago one of the FFL holders that is on the boards here said that the P99/AS was listed with distributors again.... so if that is the model you want you just need to look around....

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with Uncut, Earl's is a source that has just about everything Walther. A lot of his prices, especially guns, are high, BUT he has whatever you need in Walther stuff and no one else does. For example, I bought a P88 and a P5 else where and needed factory hi-cap mags. His prices for new factory hi-cap mags were high, but he made me aware of his used factory hi-cap mags for those guns at more reasonable prices and I bought them. They are like new, factory, hi-cap and work well. I could not find these mags on the net or anywhere else, especially at the price that Earl's offered me for the used ones. I am pleased with his products, helpfulness, and his knowledge of Walther products. He covers ALL Walther products which Smith doesn't!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just checked Earl's website because I thought I had recently seen the P99 AS for sale...and sure enough, Earl's has the P99 AS listed for sale on the website. They are not cheap, but he has them.

Another thing about Earl's is he exclusively offers the hard chrome slide on the P99, and he will even put his hard chrome finish on your slide.

I have not yet personally purchased anything from him, however I did send him an email in regards to locating a threaded barrel for a .40 P99, and he replied the very next day. I know it may not seem like a big deal, but it's something I don't see very often. Usually I expect a couple weeks before I get a reply, if at all.

From what I have heard about Earl's Repair Service, through websites and forum users on here, packing.org, and ar15.com....I look forward to doing business with him.

·
Registered
328 Posts
At least one distributor is showing the AS models as available and in stock.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
U don't wanna do the hard chrome thru earl - He charges like - what $200 or $300, the last time I checked.

I had my slide hard chromed by Tripp Research for $80. I think he went up $20 or $30 March 1st, but that's still a great deal.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Earl is a great guy to do business with. I have bought several Walther's, holsters, parts, and books from him over the years. The service and professional knowledge is top-self. Earl ships his products out in a very efficient manner. Earl is a one-stop 'shop' for Walther's; makes it really easy for a collector, in the regard that one does not have to comb gun shops or shows for a particular pistol or part. I hope Earl will be around for a long time, as his business offers a great service to those who collect and shoot Walther's.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've always had good service from Earl, but he is expensive.

Last time I talked to him, which was probably 5 years ago, he stated that he couldn't get the P99's directly from Walther anymore, because of the deal they made with S&W, but he had a second source in which he was buying them from. This may account for the higher price also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts