Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
Can someone suggest a brand/model ear protection like headphones?
I'm looking at one that are comfortable to wear
I have a few of them but the tension is too tight and after 15-20 minutes it starts to hurt me around my ears
Thanks

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Hello all
I have a few of them but the tension is too tight and after 15-20 minutes it starts to hurt me around my ears
Thanks
I find these MSA protectors very comfortable and well made. The gel earcups do a lot to eliminate "brain squeeze" along with the adjustable headband. They are on the expensive end, but I like em.

Regards -----

https://www.amazon.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-Electronic/dp/B00QV33ZRK/

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Not sure about how tight ear phones are - I own about 8 pair and none of them are really that tight. I do know that the electronic protection sort of sucks when it comes to actual protection. The ones listed only do 25 dB protection when you can get cheap non-electronic ones that do 32db. Also, I grew up when Gunnery Sgt = Deaf. So, I layer my protection with plugs and muffs. Seems to have worked as my hearing is still excellent and many I knew years ago that scoffed at my approach....well...theirs isn't.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I have molded earplugs that I started wearing years ago to cut down on noise when I rode my motorcycles. There are companies that specialize in making them and any audiologist should be able to do it as well. I’m not sure what the attenuation is, but I use them at outdoor ranges where they seem to work well, without ear muffs (they always seem to interfere with rifle stocks). Indoors I use the plugs and muffs, especially when I or others are shooting large caliber handguns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
In additon to my muffs, I also have custom molded earplugs I wear. If practice shooting rimfire or shotgun outdoors, they usually are worn alone. If shooting indoors or during highpower rifle matches, I will wear both. I can hear the range commands and sometimes some interesting comments from other shooters. Also, I started to wear the muffs when hunting. Great to hear the deer sneaking up on me!

I have been playing/listening to music since '67 and have always have hearing protection. I attended a few shows in my youth that that were just downright painful.

Firearms and Hearing Protection - Hearing Review

Regards -------------

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Expensive indeed!

I'm trying to stick to $50-$100
Thanks
Howard Leight (sp?) Impact Sport Muffs. I use them extensively. Same set of batteries have been in them for a few years now. Should probably swap them out, but they are still working just as designed so its either or.

But they are really slim, don't give the brain squeeze, and work well for the electronic shutoff for loud noises. Worst case, if the batteries die, they just turn off and act as straight ear muffs. I can talk to the guy standing next to me at the Sporting Clays range, and when the shots are touched off, just quiet. The interesting part for me is that there are hundreds of shots going of at any given time, and they don't "bug out" and constantly turn on and off. The shotshell blasts at distance aren't loud enough to trip them, nor are they loud enough to cause discomfort. The stuff that goes on right around you, though, get blanked out quite well. Highly suggest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was having the same problem. Massive ear pain. I just switched to the Peltor 500’s with the gel ear cups and can wear them all day with no pain at all. I love them!!! The gel cups are sold separately.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all
Thanks
Look @ Decibel Defense. They have a high decibel rating, are comfortable, reasonably priced (around $30), sells on Amazon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello all
Thanks
I’m on my second pair of these...I had the first pair for 10 years and wore them almost weekly shooting IDPA and as a law enforcement officer during training and qualifications. Very comfortable and great quality at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello all
Thanks
What your are going through is exactly what my questions were a few months ago... right down to the tension being too tight..... The good news is you really dont have to spend a lot to get effective hearing protectors. The bad news is you will have to visit retailers to try them. My head (i suppose), is a little large, so I did what I am recommending, and still could not find a comfortable set... I have the advantage of not having to travel to the range to shoot, so I can shoot for short periods many times a week, therefore not dealing with the head crushers for long periods.... Think of them like shoes,... you wont know till you walk a while in them! good luck....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also use plugs and muffs. When I grew up there was no such thing as hearing protection. Shooting a .44 Mag a few times and having your ears ringing for a few days after makes you learn quick. Combine that with all the concerts over the years and I pretty much have constant ringing now.

·
Registered
897 Posts
SureFire EP7 or EP10 Ear Plugs

For $18 you get 28 and 30 DB reduction respectively.

I used to use the Howard Leight myself, and I think they make an excellent product, but since moving to Texas, and doing most of my shooting outside, I really prefer the plugs over the muffs. More comfortable, not as heavy, and the muffs just make me hotter and sweat more.

Leight is a great choice if you go muffs, but plugs are worth a look as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts