Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father-in-law, a WWII 5th Inf Div vet (CIB/B Star) gave me (just before he passed away) the "war trophy" rifle he brought back from Germany immediately after the war. It had been wrapped up in a GI blanket for over 60 years in the attic. I carefully cleaned it up w/out removing/altering any character. It is a Walther "Deutsches Sportmodell", receiver ring marked: w/ the "Walther" banner over "Thuringen", L side of receiver is marked: "Waffenfabrik Zella-Mehlis" w/ the serial number "561XX", R side of receiver has 3 proofs: Crown over N, Crown over B and Crown over U. The L side of the barrel is marked: "Kal.22 Lang FJR Buchsen" followed by the full serial number and 3 more proofs: Imperial Eagle, Crown over N and "Nitro" side by side. The R side of the barrel has the same 3 Crown/letter proofs as on the receiver and the full serial number. On the stock @ the sling recess L side are a very small "8" and "?95", R side recess has a very small "2" and "3" haphazardly stamped. There are no Nazi markings I can find. The butt is in the white and stamped w/ Unit ID/Location and piece number: "Marine-Sturm 25/7" over "Russelsheim" and "N.6". It looks to me to be a Walther DSM 34 .22 Long manufactured in the early '30s. I've read that the unit markings have to do w/ an SA Naval Training Unit @ Russelsheim. Questions.....Can anyone out there date it more precisely? And.....Can anyone out there shed any light on the SA Marine-Sturm connection? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
;) Nice rifle. Any pictures?

The crown B / crown U proofs were used before 1940. My guess is that your rifle is mid to late 30's. SA information is a little sketchy. Other information on the DSM can be found in Jon Speed's book on Smallbore Mausers.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Kleka. Once I figure out how to do the photo thing I'd be happy to post photos.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts