Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it okay to dryfire your P22? I don't know 'cause I've never had a rimfire 'till now. Also do they make snap caps in .22 calibre or what?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yes, it is safe to dry-fire your P22. Just snap the safety in its downward position and dry-fire away. The firing pin will not touch the breech, or a live round will be set off.

Try to do your dry-firing without a live round in the chamber.

There is absolutely no point using snap caps with the Walther P22.

The pistol has been designed to be dry-fired.

A very convenient feature which attests to the pistol's impeccable purpose as a training rimfire.

More than anything the P22 is the best "first rimfire pistol" you can get and it is perfect for teaching you how to shoot a pistol accurately.

It did teach me a thing, or two.

Crete

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks!  I forgot about the safety being able to block the firing pin  

About the cleaning part....I take the slide off, take the barrel out and run a few wet patches through the bore, then a wire brush and then the cloth brush.  Finally another wet patch and a dry patch.  Lube the slide parts and the frame where the slide sits.  Re-assemble and test functionality.  Is this sufficient for the cleaning process?  I don't dare to disassemble the trigger mech. or the safety mech. but then I don't really see much fouling there anyways.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Right. I simply run a bore-snake through the breech port every 1000 rounds or so. I have removed the wire brush, first.

I also remove the slide and clean with a toothbrush the parts I can reach, while applying abit of Teflon Spray, also every 1000 rounds.

I shoot everything from CB Caps and Colibris to Mini Mags, the former one-at-a-time. No issues even when I leave the P22 uncleaned over a period of months.

I dislike cleaning too often, because it needs some 25 to 35 rounds all over from scratch before it settles and starts behaving reliably and accurately, again, with the rest of the remaining 965 rounds! So, I wait until I get a sign from it, now, before bothering to clean. It had more than 1500 since the last c-job and it is singing loud and clear.

Crete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts