Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it OK to dry fire a p99 qa? If so...does it help smooth out the trigger?

should I puy some snap caps to dry fire? or does it matter...

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
In 1999, I wrote Walther regarding dry firing the P99. Below is a summary of the response from XXXXXX and XXXXXXX, Carl Walther GmbH & Co.

The P99 was developed to meet the specifications of the German Police. One of the tests is to dry fire one gun 5,000 times using dummy cartridges. Since Walther developed the gun to meet the police specifications, it does not recommend dry firing the P99 without a snap cap.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Q. Will it damage the pistol to dry fire it 150 to 200 times per week?
A. We can not recommend to dry fire the P99 to this extent without snap caps.
I use snap caps in my P99.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wasn't aware of that, but why is it prefereble to use snap caps? I dry fired my new P99 DA/SA hundreds of times and it definitely loosened up the trigger. But I was unaware that this was not recommended, since I thought there was no problem with centre fire guns because the firing pin doesn't contact anything to damage it.
Any responses would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Jammer

·
Registered
62 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jammer @ Aug. 15 2003,11:38)]why is it prefereble to use snap caps?  
Because the firing pin is designed to decelerate somewhat gradually on the primer, not to slam to a stop on an internal steel travel limiter. The firing pin can crack/break.

The snap-cap mimics a real primer.

Dry-firing most older guns is likely to cause damage, most modern guns it's not so likely, but snap-caps are cheap, so why not use them?

Especially when the factory recommends it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had read Lunde's before dry firing so I thought that was OK. I guess that whatever topic you choose, you'll get conflicting opinions.
Cheers,
Jammer

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've also posted the same topic before. Majority of the response I got was it's okey to dry fire P99 ( mine is QPQ 9mm).
Enjoy your dry firing drill.....(correct practice makes close to perfection ).

·
Registered
64 Posts
John Farnam of DTI has reported that P99s have exhibited firing pin breakage problems thru extensive dry firing even with snap caps. I do some dry firing without snapcaps, but very little. The vast majority is with a snap cap in place regardless of what anybody, including the manufacture, says -- it just can't hurt to take the precaution. I don't want something to break when I need it the most, it's more than just changing out a $10-20 part every so often.

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts