Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this gun this afternoon, but by time I field stripped, cleaned, lubed range was closed & I couldn't shoot. Decided to dry fire.

To dry fire other striker pistols-m&P, Sig 365, I have always put one snap cap in magazine, racked the slide and fired-then after each dry fire shot, I pulled back slightly on slide to reset snap cap - worked fine. The Walther rep yesterday said -he "thought" that would work ok.
well, when I did as above, the first time I racked the slide the loaded chamber indicator showed and I fired a good dry fire shot. But then when, I pulled back slightly, the the slide stayed back rather than lining up as should - can anyone please help with this. I have tried as above probably 10 times, and same deal

·
Registered
41 Posts
not sure I am following you. What do you mean "lining up"? Not going into battery? Does it go into battery when you start with the snap cap in the magazine but not after dry firing and slightly pulling the slide back to "cock" the pistol?

The ppq has a stepped chamber. maybe the snap cap fits too tight? Try it without the snap cap.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Most likely the snap cap you are using does not fit the Walther PPQ stepped chamber very well.

You can do casual dry fire with the PPQ but for a lot of regular dry fire I use a 9MM Laserlyte training cartridge which increases dry fire fun immensely.

·
Super Moderator
14,390 Posts
Katie Joe, if you want to reset the trigger after firing, you need to pull the slide rearward about 3/8" and then PUSH it back forward into battery. There's nothing wrong with your pistol...you're just expecting it to do something it wasn't designed to do.

Here ya go...read post 3 in this link....its one I posted a while back, it explains all the poop that's going on in that last 3/8 inch. http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/102481-can-t-right-can.html

·
Registered
465 Posts
I bet $100 it's fine... if you're pulling it back just a little bit to reset the trigger and it's not going into battery....Not to worry. Go shoot it like you stole it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct!

Katie Joe, if you want to reset the trigger after firing, you need to pull the slide rearward about 3/8" and then PUSH it back forward into battery. There's nothing wrong with your pistol...you're just expecting it to do something it wasn't designed to do.

Here ya go...read post 3 in this link....its one I posted a while back, it explains all the poop that's going on in that last 3/8 inch. https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/102481-can-t-right-can.html

I just discovered this....yes, pushing it back forward was what I was not doing....somehow, I tried it again, and pushed it forward, and worked like a charm!!! Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that I have gotten how to do it

I just discovered this....yes, pushing it back forward was what I was not doing....somehow, I tried it again, and pushed it forward, and worked like a charm!!! Thanks

there is no harm to the pistol dry firing it pretty much is there as long as use a snap cap?

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts
Short answer:no
Long answer: nope

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trigger reset

will be shooting my new PPQ tomorrow....am I correct that there is no trigger reset? Whatever, it has reputation as one of best triggers??

·
Super Moderator
14,390 Posts
Katie Joe.....make sure the pistol is clear....no ammo in chamber and no magazine in magwell. Now rack the slide as usual to 'cock' the striker. Now go ahead and pull the trigger 'as in dry firing'. When you pull the trigger, continue holding the trigger all the way to the rear while you rack the slide again. NOW slowly let the trigger come forward about 1/10" and you'll feel/hear a 'click'...THAT's the reset.....meaning the trigger is now reset and ready for the next shot.

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts
katie when you first shoot your Q at the range be prepared for the best shooting striker fired pistol you have ever experienced.

To get the best out of it you might try this until you are really used to the trigger:

Slowly pull the trigger to the wall and when it breaks and fires bring the trigger all the way to the end of the travel and hold it there.

Now slowly let the trigger forward and feel the reset you'll notice a crisp reset (and possibly the audible click of the reset)

You are can either fire from here or completely release the trigger. I'd suggest slowly releasing the trigger to get the full feel of the trigger travel.

After you are accustom to the trigger you can build muscle memory by working on only releasing to reset or fully releasing the trigger depending upon how you will be using your Q.

I'm looking forward to a range report and your impressions. You own the best out of the box striker fired pistol on the market sold right now...enjoy!

Reactions: RegisG

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have you tried dry firing w/o snap caps and magazine? That's how I do it and have had no issues. I pull it back 1/4-1/2" or so and release.

I haven't seen anything in the user manual about requiring snap caps for dry firing.

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts
Have you tried dry firing w/o snap caps and magazine? That's how I do it and have had no issues. I pull it back 1/4-1/2" or so and release.

I haven't seen anything in the user manual about requiring snap caps for dry firing.
That is what you are going to be doing every time you break down the weapon for cleaning.....

Unless you are going to be doing an inordinate amount of dry firing (and I'm not exactly sure what amount that would be) some dry fire won't hurt your weapon.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I dry fire the s**t out of my Q45 AND P99. No snap caps, no nothing.:D

The gun has a miniature explosion in it every time it's fired, some good ol fashioned dry fire wont hurt it.;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Got this gun this afternoon, but by time I field stripped, cleaned, lubed range was closed & I couldn't shoot. Decided to dry fire.

To dry fire other striker pistols-m&P, Sig 365, I have always put one snap cap in magazine, racked the slide and fired-then after each dry fire shot, I pulled back slightly on slide to reset snap cap - worked fine. The Walther rep yesterday said -he "thought" that would work ok.
well, when I did as above, the first time I racked the slide the loaded chamber indicator showed and I fired a good dry fire shot. But then when, I pulled back slightly, the the slide stayed back rather than lining up as should - can anyone please help with this. I have tried as above probably 10 times, and same deal
Heyas Katie :) LOL That was actually MY thread that OldFart posted a link to in post #4 of this thread. I was having the same issue with snap caps as you are having.
Lesson learned....Walthers don't like snap caps. My p99c actually does this with live ammo too. It doesn't wanna go into battery unless I have the slide locked back, and use the slide release lever. I think tho, that will go away after I get more wear into the pistol. Which is usually the case.
But that's ok. While I know that you're trying to protect your new pistol, that's great! But the only things that really need a snap cap nowadays are rimfires, like .22's.
But yeah, this is about the only manufacturer that I've shot that does have this habit. Seems like a Walther thing.
And yeah, I tossed the snap cap and dry fire the hell outta the p99c now ;)

Have fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts