Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a an older PPK/S, from 1970. I was reading the instructions and it said that with the safety off, hammer down that the hammer is blocked by a locking piece. Would the pistol be drop safe in this mode for carry.

·
Registered
112 Posts
the hammer is blocked from hitting the firing pin in the the decocked position. However, there is nothing locking the firing pin so that if the gun is dropped with the barrel down, the momentum of the firing pin could potentially be enough to touch the primer. A spring is holding the firing pin back but theoretically the firing could move forward. The firing pin is locked with the safety on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bud. If I’m carrying it safety on does it make any difference as farbthentrigger position. It feels easier to switch to off when the trigger is already in thenfoward position

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about the typos. As far as safety does it matter if the trigger is set forward or set back with the safety engaged either way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can verify the safety features of the gun. First make sure the gun is unloaded.

Cock the hammer and slowly lower the hammer down with your thumb on it. You'll see that the hammer will go all the way in and push on the firing pin.

let up on the trigger and try to push the hammer. You'll see that the hammer will not go forward and reach the firing pin

With the hammer back you'll be able to push in the firing pin with a small pointy object like a toothpick.

engage the safety and you won't be able to push in the firing pin.

It's good to know how the gun works.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
MGMike and I had a long discussion about the safety of the PP platform chamber-loaded and safety off. His contention was, that under the right (wrong) circumstances, it was possible to have a drop discharge.
The Cliff's Notes version; if you want to be absolutely safe, engage the safety. If you want to be relatively safe, don't.
Moon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts