Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having problems with an old PPK that had sat around for a long time. The Lubrication had definitely dried out. The Problem was that the hammer would not go all the way back to cock position. Something was blocking the movement. As a result, the slide couldn't move all the way back for a field strip since it was being blocked by the hammer. I didn't want to force the hammer back.

I took off the grips and got some lubrication into the mechanism and let it sit a bit (Break Free CLP). It freed up the hammer and everything seems to be functioning fine. I am wondering if anyone knows which part in the mechanism was preventing the hammer from going to full cock.

·
Registered
136 Posts
PPK

Peter, we need more information, and pictures to even get started. It could be crud, something stuck or an unidentified bit locking things up. Kroll or Ballistoil soaking might help, after removing the grips. Overnight or so with some compressed air after the soak. This will do no damage. Without more info, or pictures we are just guessing.

Duncan

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Having purchased over a dozen +25 years old German handguns in the past two years, I think my input might be helpful.

The first thing I do when one enters my collection is a field strip (with grip removal), a soak down spray with B'wood Casey Gun Scrubber and high pressure air blast (sometimes several times) to remove dried/old grease and oil (this sometimes requires long plastic pick tools to "break" the dried grease loose), a soak down spray of Rem Gun Oil and another air blast, then a detail lube with quality oil and grease (with long reach tips/toothpicks, to reach EVERY point of metal to metal contact that moves, including spring contact points).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts