Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Might be the must fun gun "for the money".

IMHO, a NATO spec Steyr AUG with the 3x Swarovski optic and a 60rd Magpul drum may be the most fun gun.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
IMHO, a NATO spec Steyr AUG with the 3x Swarovski optic and a 60rd Magpul drum may be the most fun gun.
If money isn't an object, I'd argue that a FA Thompson M1A1 with a 30 round stick magazine is the most fun -- if nothing else for the novelty/rarity of being able to shoot it … and the fact that it's stupidly iconic.

I enjoyed shooting the Thompson far more than a either the IMI Uzi or the HK MP5 I've shot. I hear good things about Reising M50's in terms of accuracy and reliability (so long as it's clean and well-treated) and would like to shoot one … despite the bad rap they had while in military service.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
I've written before of my affection for PCCs, and have to admit that the conversion makes the HiPoint far less homely. They have a reputation for working, but a Scorpion is worth the money. And it won't embarrass you to show it to your friends.
Surreal', had the pleasure of shooting a Thompson and an MP5 many years ago; wish I'd moved heaven and earth, and bought the MP5.
The Thompson's deliberate cadence was interesting, as was the old school workmanship (it was a '28 of some sort)
Moon

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The Thompson's deliberate cadence was interesting, as was the old school workmanship (it was a '28 of some sort)
If memory serves, the 28's have a higher rate of fire than the M1A1's. I found the M1A1 to be very controllable -- largely due to the cadence you mention. (The Cutts compensator probably has a fair bit to do with it, too, though.) If I had to complain about anything, it would be the irons and the way the mag is seated (making for slow reloads). That's where I feel the MP5 outshines the Tommy, as the MP5's irons point very naturally for me AND I found it much faster to reload. However, the MP5 is a high ROF bullet hose that I found to be far less controllable than the M1A1.

Back to WaterDR's point (an inexpensive PCC), for the money he spent on a Hi Point plus aftermarket stuff, I think I'd take a bone stock Sub 2000, as it's already sexy right out of the box, and there' a pile of aftermarket support for it that allows it to go from merely sexy to runway model sexy. The one I have is tricked out with MCARBO parts, and it's my favourite PCC despite owning a Scorpion, as well. Why? Because the Sub 2000 is a ~5lb folder that will use any of my 9mm Glock magazines, that's why.

Sure it's not 10mm, but I'm not a 10mm fan for the same reasons I'm not a .40S&W fan. As for the Hi Point -- lots of people dump on them. I think they're ugly ... as in they have the sort of looks that only a mother could love. But they're a lot of (supposedly very reliable, at least the rifles, I've heard) gun for the money, and I respect that for what it is.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Surreal', the cadence was soooo much slower than an M16; I put beaucoup rounds thru' one at the gummint's expense. But yes, it was controllable. Unhappily, they look cooler than they feel ergonomically. And they are heavy.

I've a Sub 2000 as well as a Scorp, but prefer the Scorp. But the Scorp is both a tax stamp (got it before braces), and it started life as a real Czech subgun, which means it should handle a bunch of shooting. I like KelTecs, but not sure how much of a pounding they will take.
Been trying to find a HiPoint t-shirt cheap, to give to a buddy...just to tick him off. :D
I really wish the folks at HiPoint would hire an industrial designer; they could look like WaterDRs example right out the door.
Moon

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I like KelTecs, but not sure how much of a pounding they will take.
Replacement of a number of the Sub2k's internal plastic parts with aftermarket, milled metal parts from MCARBO will allow them to take serious punishment/use. If you haven't already noticed, the OEM feed ramp is plastic … and it's absolutely one of those parts that needs to be well-polished metal, IMHO. MCARBO has your back for that … and, no, I'm not affiliated with them -- just a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
My KelTec lives in a bugout bag, along with 3 30 round mags and a weapon light. I don't shoot it much; the Scorp see's more use. I bought it when they were made of unobtanium, and paid too much. Mine is the hardchrome version, and really kinda handsome as such things go. I had one before, sold it, then regretted it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does that bullpup stock on the 1095 make tear down easier? I have a 4595, myself, and the tear down is a royal pain in the backside. If the aftermarket stock makes it easier to take it all the way apart, that might make it worth buying, in and of itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does that bullpup stock on the 1095 make tear down easier? I have a 4595, myself, and the tear down is a royal pain in the backside. If the aftermarket stock makes it easier to take it all the way apart, that might make it worth buying, in and of itself.
HTA MBS 95 Bullpup Stock for the Hi-Point 4595

I'm looking into the 40 myself. HATE stripping the stock...stock. 😖

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If money isn't an object, I'd argue that a FA Thompson M1A1 with a 30 round stick magazine is the most fun -- if nothing else for the novelty/rarity of being able to shoot it … and the fact that it's stupidly iconic.

I enjoyed shooting the Thompson far more than a either the IMI Uzi or the HK MP5 I've shot. I hear good things about Reising M50's in terms of accuracy and reliability (so long as it's clean and well-treated) and would like to shoot one … despite the bad rap they had while in military service.
I got to shoot an AR with a fun switch and a 100 round drum at the local range one day. Holy heck in a handbasket I would not want to be the one footing the grocery bill for that thing more than the time it took to unload it. I think the only thing more fun would be a belt fed of some sort.

That line of "If money were no object" is a way I would NOT mind living my life... Hahahah 😁

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Turns out...you can take a really ugly Hi Point PCC (10mm) and make is sexy and have some very reliable fun .

Maybe the most fun gun!!!!!
That is really cool. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I converted to look like a Walther WA 2000. Picture and posts are archived somewhere in this forum. I still take that puppy out for a little bit of cooking off steam down the farm when I can. I can't wait till my gun club opens back up and hit the 100 yard range and poke out the bullseye again. I cannot begin to tell you how much fun it is to watch the center of the paper target just disappear and not have recoil.

Very cool, again.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
My 10-22 has become an M1Carbine look alike, with aperture sights.
Funny the Reising was mentioned; it remains a 'kinda' affordable select fire for mere mortals, tho' .45s would be more expensive to load/shoot. IIRC, their rep was 'not playing well in sand'.
Yeah, before the honorables screwed up private select-fire ownership, (after legal ones were never used in crime in 50 years), a full auto anything would have been fun...even if you didn't turn on the happy switch all the time.
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
My 10-22 has become an M1Carbine look alike, with aperture sights.
Funny the Reising was mentioned; it remains a 'kinda' affordable select fire for mere mortals, tho' .45s would be more expensive to load/shoot. IIRC, their rep was 'not playing well in sand'.
Yeah, before the honorables screwed up private select-fire ownership, (after legal ones were never used in crime in 50 years), a full auto anything would have been fun...even if you didn't turn on the happy switch all the time.
Moon
I had a similarly configured 10-22 at one time. Sold it off in a fit of sheer lunacy.

Enjoy. That's a nice plinker and a great way to build up skill with aperture sights.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Moon, that is really neat. I see those stocks for sale all the time at the local gun store. Who's peeps do you use?? I found a company in NRA magazine called Tech Sights. Won't buy much different from that so long as they still keep making them. I have all these gun dream builds in the back of my head, and working from home I have more time before and after work (no commute) to tinker in the garage. I was dreaming up one of those "International" builds with the full length Mannlicher style stock with peep rear and winged front sights would just be a joy to scare the hell out of varmints with. Maybe top it with glass, too. One day... Maybe. Can still get stocks and parts for it, so if it comes to fruition, I'll post pics.

If.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts