Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see everyone make specific mention of the "year" of their P99. Other than the trigger "ramp", what does the year matter on the P99?

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Other than the year it was made it can also indicate whom imported the P99 and as to what frame style or mag release is on the P99

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Besides design changes and features are there any quality issues to be aware of?
Can we know which year the 124gr-115gr change was made?

Russell

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
A P99 timeline would be a good sticky for this forum. Another on the various actions would be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hmmm, I was not aware that they changed recoil springs to accomodate 115 gr. bullets
I was having some trouble during the break-in period (500rds) with my 1998 AS. Probably just didn't give it enough time but I was having trouble with it cycling my reloads. Called WalterAmerica and tech told me about different spring. You will also find this info on Dr. Lunde's FAQ...

Do all P99s share the same recoil spring?
Yes. However, there is a reduced recoil spring available from Walther for use with Suppressors and with 115gr bullets during break-in. The standard recoil spring is rated at 50 Newtons or 11.24lbs, and is silver in color; the reduced recoil spring is rated at 48 Newtons or 10.79lbs, and is red in color.

The only other recoil spring made by Walther for the P99 is meant for the new S&W SW99 chambered in .45 Auto, but it would become completely compressed before the slide goes back far enough if used in a 9mm or .40 Auto P99

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I was having some trouble during the break-in period (500rds) with my 1998 AS. Probably just didn't give it enough time but I was having trouble with it cycling my reloads. Called WalterAmerica and tech told me about different spring. You will also find this info on Dr. Lunde's FAQ...

I have a P99 AS that was manufactured in 2006. I have been using 124 gr. exclusively with no malfunctions. In a previous post you stated that Walther went from a recoil spring that was designed for 124 gr. to one designed for 115 gr. When did that happen? In the quote from Lunde's FAQ it seems that 124 gr. is what should be used as that is what the recoil spring is designed for.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
In my 2004 P99 I see no difference from 115gr to 124gr other than that the 124 looks to be more accurate

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
In a previous post you stated that Walther went from a recoil spring that was designed for 124 gr. to one designed for 115 gr. When did that happen?
I can't tell you for 100% sure but from what I got from a WaltherAmerica tech, this took place when S&W became the primary importers of Walthers. These pistols were geared specifically for the US market. We over here prefer 115gr...many in Europe use 124gr. This is the reason for the switch, so I was told.

But my '04 Compact and full size like either 115 or 124 gr. My '98 likes heavier bullets better...124 or 147gr.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts