Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Glock does. The Sig Sauer does. I'm just curious if the P99 does... I've never heard, or don't remember if I did...
I'm not going to try it or anything. Shoot, where I live, we hardly even get rain!

Did you hear about the guy that tried his P220 under water in a pool? It worked alright, but it busted his eardrums...

·
Registered
232 Posts
The P99 uses an operating system similar to that of the Glock.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does, only in my opine, it's superior because of the second strike capabilities...

Being it is similar to a Glock, reason would have it, that it would function under water also. In the back of my head, tucked ever so neatly away somewhere, I thought I remembered reading that it would. I was hoping that someone else might have read the same thing, or something to that effect...

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
according to a recent Walther promo Video(DVD).... it does.... they had a scene where the P99 was shot under water

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks uncut! I thought it would...:D

Shipwreck, I sure hope they don't. It's a very dangerous proposition. The fact that it can, does not mean it should...

also, like I said in my first post: Did you hear about the guy that tried his P220 under water in a pool? It worked alright, but it busted his eardrums...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I SAID, DON'T SHOOT YOUR P99 UNDERWATER TO TEST IT'S FUNCTION!

Good one Jake! LOL:D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes it does, unlike my other tests, the walther was shot in a pool. All the others were shot in the ocean(my baby P99c 9mm wasnt going in salt if I can help it). It was then cleaned thoughly afterwords.

YOU MUST MAKE SURE ALL THE AIR IS GONE from the weapon.

The glock 9mm, Sig 228 do as well.

I have not test anything stronger then the 9mm, as it makes your guts hurt from the shock in the water(read discomfort to the lower GI).

I used Winchester White Box for the experiments.

Also there was an article of 1911s being shot under water as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Inferno-
You gotta give us the details!

I have heard that the high-pressure .40 cal cartridge isn't suitable for underwater shooting- as I understand it the water hinders the dispersion of internal pressure (I would imagine this is also the case with the .357 SIG).

http://www.dlsports.com/underwater_handgun_shooting.html

The guy doing these tests abandoned his underwater Glock .40 test after the first round resulted in a complete head case separation.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I would have thought that the water in the barrel would act very much like a blockage causing a catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Considering that sound travels through water 4 times faster than it does through air; I wouldn't even think about shooting my handgun underwater.

If I want to have fun underwater, I'll stick to SCUBA . . . without firearms

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MuthaGoose, I certainly hope nobody lead you to think we are talking about "underwater sports shooting"... As you and others have pointed out that would be DANGEROUS! We are talking about the physical ABILITY of the P99 to FUNCTION underwater... I thought that was understood. I apologies if my question or where this thread might be headed appeared to be misleading to you or anyone else...

IN THE NAME OF SAFTY, NEVER FIRE YOUR GUN UNDERWATER!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MLB, this was my sentiments on all pistols, yet there seem to be several that are capable of it.
Inherent in their design of efficiency, with mud groves and such, they will function. Seems to me that it was important to the SEALs as their weapons are immersed in water while approaching the target, would encounter some water/mud resistance when fired, even if only fired out of the water. Of coarse, because of the danger involved, and I'm sure other variables, they would NOT be fired underwater, however, their ability to function underwater was an imparative... A good test of the weapon if you will...
I thought I read that somewhere. If I'm the only one to have done so, maybe I'm all wet!  

I just wanted to know if the P99 was one that would do so.  

·
Registered
34 Posts
What is the point of shooting underwater for the average person anyways? Just in case someone breaks into your pool? LOL

In anycase the range of the bullet in water would be significantly reduced. Anyone know how far the 9mm will travel and its lethal range under water?

The cool thing is that if you were stipid enough you could catch a bullet fired from a gun underwater. Now who can say they have caught a bullet fired from a gun with thier bare hands? ::Seriously do not try this!::

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
*sigh*

Yes, I imagine the concussion would do more to the shooter than to the target... Which makes me wonder, just how far the bullet would travel... Probably not far at all...

·
Registered
11 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hal8000 @ April 08 2006,3:10)]We are talking about the physical ABILITY of the P99 to FUNCTION underwater
My apologies, I read your post wrong. Yeah, I'm also curious as to whether it physically can shoot underwater.

On a slightly related note, does anybody know where I can find info on the P99's torture tests? I did a search, but no dice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They have got to be out there some place MuthaGoose. I've looked for them recently myself. I really think that report is the same place I read about the underwater test. One in the same, I think... That was awhile ago, and I failed to save it... Now that I have my precious P99, I'd love to read that stuff again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
After a little digging, all I can find is this and this, posted on the The Firing Line boards:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Durability

We made the P99 take tests that were harder that any real situation could ever be. During sustained firing tests, more than 250.000 rounds of the extremely powerful +P ammunition were fired by us under adverse conditions. There were rapid firing tests at temperatures of 45 'C and also at + 75 'C which demanded the most from the material The P99 passed all these tests with distinction.

Drop test

According to the test requirements of the German police academy, the P99 is to take the drop test. The cocked pistol is being dropped from levels between 1,3 and 2 meters, at different angles, onto surfaces of steel, concrete or plastic. The weapon must not fire. The P99 fulfills the highest safety requirements of a Single Action/Double Action weapon.
and

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The P99 pistol was designed according to the specifications for police pistols of the German Police. In order to get certified as a police pistol the specifications require four guns to be tested according [to] the test specifications. During these tests three guns are fired with 10,000 rounds and one gun is dry fired 5,000 times using dummy cartridges. Other test like hostile environment need to be completed, too. Only two pistols passed these tests and got certified by now. The P99 is one of them being certified.

Reportedly, the other pistol mentioned that passed the trials is the USP compact.

I bet there's even more info out there. What about those who have the P99 promotional DVD? Didn't they say something about there being a torture test section in it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts