Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there has been any case of Kabooms on the P99s. Since the Glocks and HKs had lot of posts regarding Kabbooms on them.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yes. I've seen a couple. Both were related to reloads that were double charged with powder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The reason my Glock Kaboomed was due to the unsupported chamber. Walthers have FULLY supported chambers. So your Walther won't fail like Glocks and HK's do.

Carlos

·
Registered
16 Posts
When a gun has a critical failure and basically blows up. Glocks have been known for this. IMO, almost always caused by bad ammo instead of an unnoticed fault in the weapon that gets worse over time until it totally fails. http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/gindex.html has some pictures of glocks doing it, but can happen to any gun. Usually the larger the round, the more dangerous it can be. I have seen pics of Garands that have blown up do to bad ammo and they look really nasty. Sako had a recall with this too because they were using crappy metal and the barrels would split using even correct spec ammo.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Here's a link to some pix of a Sako that KB! Watch for a minute, because the picture will change to show more images, like a slide show.

Sako KB!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
That's a scary slide show-

·
Registered
16 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (andrespeng @ June 06 2005,6:59)]What is FULLY supported chambers?
My understanding of it is how much of the case has nothing around it. On some guns, if you take the barrel out and stick a round in, you can see part of the side of the casing right above the feeding ramp. Glock probably does this so they do not have to use as sharp an angled feeding ramp in a confined space; thus in theory more reliable feeding with most ammo types. What can happen is that the round will not be in perfectly and when it goes off, the pressure is so great that it comes out the bottom where the small exposed casing is. There will always be some exposed area for the extractor to grab on, but on fully supported chambers this is just for the rim and is uniformly the same all the way around. In guns like this, even if something goes bad, the path of least resistance is going to be the bullet and not the casing. Broken case extractor tools for the AR15/AK/SKS lend one to think that a case blowing its back off is not a big event like it is on unsupported chambers.

EDIT: Going KB without overloaded ammo is usually only an issue with guns that have the feeding ramp integrated with the barrel (as with most/many autoloading centerfire handguns). The unsupported chamber in guns like Glocks can actually contribute to out of battery discharges especially since handgun rounds are really not that long and tend to not guide themselves as well as rifle rounds. IIRC the P99 has an out of battery safety built in. Glocks have several points of failure in that an overloaded round (dangerous in any gun) is more likely to blow off the exposed side of the case, a case that just has some metal flaw in the back (shit happens when factories roll off a million a day), and a round is more likely to blow off out of battery when the feeding ramp shortens the distance where a round can guide itself in.

I really wish I could inspect a P99 now and take some pics, but unfortunately mine had a screwy slide and had to be sent back as defective. SW/Walther America is being very cool about it and sending me a new one (whole package, so 2 free mags!!).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Is the case on a Walther P99 fully supported ? I was under the impression it wasn't

Most handguns that started out as a 9mm then where modified for the 40 have unsupported chambers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Heres a pic of the barrel.  

You can see that since the feed ramp is invasive into the chamber (unsupported), the brass just flowed down the feed ramp.  You can also see that there are no pressure signs on the primer.  The problem is twofold: one, an unspported chamber.  Two: Workhardened brass that failed from several reloadings.  

I shoot to much not to reload.  Most people wont have problems with Glocks or HK's for recreational shooting.  I just like to practive ALOT, since I believe that a good pistol with lots of practice is the most fearsome combination any crook could imagine.

My Walther has a fully supported chamber (feedramp is not invasive in the chamber), so I won't anticipate this type of failure.  My two cents.  

Carlos

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
And the dreaded PMC brass also!

I've found a pattern to most, not all, but most of the kB's from reloads happen with PMC brass. I've had a few PMC cases split on me. Thankfully no kB's, but I've since stopped using the PMC stuff.

·
Registered
38 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Carlos Caliente @ June 06 2005,11:42)] So your Walther won't fail like Glocks and HK's do.

Carlos
i have an H&k USP 40sw compact. it has a fully supported chamber. the h&k usp45 full sized i sold also has a fully supported chamber. i have reloaded for both and never had any case bulge at all. my glock 23, now thats a different story. get your facts straight or shut the fuck up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've shot several thousand rounds of PMC 40 through Glocks and several hundreds through my Walther.
I happen to like PMC as it is a very light load for target shooting, range practice.

Anyone know what commercial load will have similar charecteristics?

·
Registered
14 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i have an H&k USP 40sw compact. it has a fully supported chamber. the h&k usp45 full sized i sold also has a fully supported chamber. i have reloaded for both and never had any case bulge at all. my glock 23, now thats a different story.  get your facts straight or shut the fuck up.
Your chambers are not fully supported, unless you have a Jarvis custom barrel for both.

Remove the barrel and drop a sized case into the chamber.  Snap a picture of the feedramp looking down onto the case and post it here.  I'll have the last laugh.

Carlos

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (madecov @ June 09 2005,6:56)]I've shot several thousand rounds of PMC 40 through Glocks and several hundreds through my Walther.
I happen to like PMC as it is a very light load for target shooting, range practice.

Anyone know what commercial load will have similar charecteristics?
Madecov,

I'm not talking about the fresh factory PMC, I'm talking about reloading their brass. It's not as strong as Wichester or Starline brass. I've seen many kB's! from reloaded PMC brass and have seen PMC brass split and crack on my own reloads.

The fresh factory stuff seems to work just fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts