Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section!
I just wanted to know, do you think that a hydro dipping a firearm effects the price of a firearm?
Say that you brought a $300 Walther, and then you hydro dip it, then you decided you wanted to sell it a month later,
would you guys buy a hydro dipped firearm? :confused:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I didn't know Hydro Dipping was a thing. One quick Google search and found out what you are asking about.

Here is an article about Hydro Dipping: https://shootingmystery.com/durable-hydro-dipping-gun/

Me, I am not really into "Dolling Up" my guns. I wont knock it, just because I am not into it. Knowing gun owners someone will buy it. It's on you to haggle the right price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know Hydro Dipping was a thing. One quick Google search and found out what you are asking about.

Here is an article about Hydro Dipping: https://shootingmystery.com/durable-hydro-dipping-gun/

Me, I am not really into "Dolling Up" my guns. I wont knock it, just because I am not into it. Knowing gun owners someone will buy it. It's on you to haggle the right price.

Ya its a thing lol. I just got into it:) Its pretty much spray painting your gun and then dipping it in ink, giving your gun a cool camo or other pattern,
heres my gun i just did;

Would you buy it if you were looking for a PPQ but this was the only one avalible?

·
Registered
181 Posts
To me, the value is either minor added, neutral, or could make the gun less valuable if it's ugly.

The only reason IMO to spend money on refinishing a gun is if there's cosmetic or finish damage from wear, rust, or scratches. But if the goal is to sell just sell at the blemished lowered price and let the new owner deal with it.

So, assuming a gun has finish damage, it's going to be sold at a discount. A new neutral finish might get the gun back to market price. A flashy finish might add value if I really like it, or make it LESS valuable than the worn finish, since I can then use the difference to do the finish I prefer.

So, the moral is others are not likely to pay extra for your flashy modifications on guns, cars, and houses. People don't pay much more for upgrades. Do it for yourself and don't expect to get more money later for it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ya its a thing lol. I just got into it:) Its pretty much spray painting your gun and then dipping it in ink, giving your gun a cool camo or other pattern,
heres my gun i just did;

Would you buy it if you were looking for a PPQ but this was the only one avalible?
Honestly, if there was a stock PPQ and your hydro dipped PPQ in same condition and same price, I would buy the stock one. You'd have to discount your gun at least $50 for me to consider it over the stock one. I like camo but don't see the point on a pistol. YMMV. I only say this to illustrate a point so please don't be offended.

Finish mods should be done only either to guns that need it for rehabilitation, or for value to the owner. New buyers won't pay more for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Honestly, if there was a stock PPQ and your hydro dipped PPQ in same condition and same price, I would buy the stock one. You'd have to discount your gun at least $50 for me to consider it over the stock one. I like camo but don't see the point on a pistol. YMMV. I only say this to illustrate a point so please don't be offended.

Finish mods should be done only either to guns that need it for rehabilitation, or for value to the owner. New buyers won't pay more for it.

that you for the honest opinion :) im not offended at all, i wanna hear peoples opinion on this just incase i decide to sell it later on, i did this hydro dip because i wanted that woodland snow camo on it, i always like that camo and i finally got a chance to learn how to do it and i buy a hydro dip kit from amazon to do it myself. there is nothing wrong with the PPQ and i brought it like new, so i had nothing to hide! and i also was gonna do my ar15 which i plan on selling. nobody will buy it because the lower is mirror polished, so i was thinking to hydro dip it in a hunting/desert camo pattern in order to sell it

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section!
I just wanted to know, do you think that a hydro dipping a firearm effects the price of a firearm?
Say that you brought a $300 Walther, and then you hydro dip it, then you decided you wanted to sell it a month later,
would you guys buy a hydro dipped firearm? :confused:
Personally - no. I think most firearms buyers would rather have a completely stock and original gun.

There will be someone that likes what you did, and would pay more, but there are less potential buyers.

Some of it depends on the type of gun you have and the type of person that normally purchases a gun of that type. Generally, owners of small pocket-guns tend to be more open to bold colors. AR owners would tend to be more interested in RealTree patterns on handguards and stocks.

Matching a custom finish on the right gun with the right customer type would certainly help sell it. Some owners are more open to colors and patterns on their firearms more than others.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The problem with the hydro treatment is that you may like the pattern/colors selected, while 80% of the potential buyers do not. If you plan on keeping the gun for life, have at it. If you may want to re-sell at some point, no way.

Look at it this way. Would you pay more for a car that has a very unique and quirky paint job, or would you pay less? The answer is less, if you are not among the minority of purchasers who happen to like the paint job.

·
Registered
181 Posts
that you for the honest opinion :) im not offended at all, i wanna hear peoples opinion on this just incase i decide to sell it later on, i did this hydro dip because i wanted that woodland snow camo on it, i always like that camo and i finally got a chance to learn how to do it and i buy a hydro dip kit from amazon to do it myself. there is nothing wrong with the PPQ and i brought it like new, so i had nothing to hide! and i also was gonna do my ar15 which i plan on selling. nobody will buy it because the lower is mirror polished, so i was thinking to hydro dip it in a hunting/desert camo pattern in order to sell it
I think it there would be more opportunity in a service to others to hydrodip THEIR guns for a reasonable fee.

I personally don't pay for cosmetic gunsmithing. But there is a market for others. Some people may have a gun with damaged finish that want it coated and opt for something unusual rather than just rebluing or ceracoating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts