Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PPQM2 9mm as well as the .45 PPQM2 and as it looks to be the last .45 they are making, I was wondering if I should just stick to getting the optic tray milled out on the 9mm and leaving the .45 alone (altho I REALLY want to put one on there). I also have a Taurus G3C I'm going to put a Lakeline barrel on and also changing both PPQ barrels to threaded.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never look at a firearm as a collectors item. If I did that, I wouldn't shoot it at all. I view firearms as tools meant to be shot/used.
Well, I do as well, I have two 9mms, an AR15, a 20" AR-10 in .308, and I just ordered a KelTec P50 when they dropped the price a few days ago. I would definitely shoot it, I just thought it'd be neat to keep it in it's original condition as they won't be making anymore, but then again I do want to carry it occasionally, I guess I could just get some night sights and a light and use it for home-defense.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Absolutely ruin any 'collector' value. RUINED.

At best, it may not hurt the resale value, at least in the short term.

Longer term... technology being what it is and the fact that a 'universal' mounting pattern has not yet been agreed upon... any optic system you mill for pistol for now will probably be obsolete in 10 years or less.

You'll be left with a gun milled for an optic pattern no one still uses or wants. Value DESTROYED. Maybe in 100 years it will be have some value as an antiquated curiosity.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Absolutely ruin any 'collector' value. RUINED.

At best, it may not hurt the resale value, at least in the short term.

Longer term... technology being what it is and the fact that a 'universal' mounting pattern has not yet been agreed upon... any optic system you mill for pistol for now will probably be obsolete in 10 years or less.

You'll be left with a gun milled for an optic pattern no one still uses or wants. Value DESTROYED. Maybe in 100 years it will be have some value as an antiquated curiosity.
I mean they were 579 what, 6 months ago? Now I'm seeing 799/899 on Gunbroker and they're actually being sold, I think it will be well over 2K by next Christmas especially if this new batch is the last one (they said discontinued in 2021 so I assume it is) Also bought 11 12rd mags I expect to at least double my money on.

I'll probably just mill the 9mm and get the TORO G3C conversion kit when they get them in freaking stock. I don't want to put it on now and need to do some milling on the lakeline barrel to get it tight and that then won't fit into the TORO slide for some reason as it will be ever so slightly different. Two 9mms with red dots and a scope and another long range red dot on the AR15 should be enough optics for anyone I guess. OOH plus the optic Ill get for the P50, will probably be my first EOtech even though Sig somehow fixed astigmatism/parallax issue moving from the Romeo5 to the Romeo5XDR without holograms, I think they angled the front lens a bit. I see a huge comma on the Romeo5 but the Romeo5XDR doesn't have the issue on the dot or the second reticle. I really wish they WOULD standardize that shit. You figured the major manufacturers would at least get together for some ubiquitous things like dot plates. Home-built PC's have way more variables and random shit but the big dogs control the show and the manufacturers follow their lead.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I mean they were 579 what, 6 months ago? Now I'm seeing 799/899 on Gunbroker and they're actually being sold, I think it will be well over 2K by next Christmas especially if this new batch is the last one (they said discontinued in 2021 so I assume it is) Also bought 11 12rd mags I expect to at least double my money on.
I haven't checked every last gunbroker ad, but I believe the price increase is partly because of the (new?) SKU with factory installed tritium night sights. Part of it is also the general state of the economy - suddenly my $$$ isn't go nearly as far anywhere and everything remotely desirable seems to be MSRP or higher.

Do you have a citation/link/reference to when you heard these were being discontinued in 2021?

I remain highly skeptical that the PPQ45 is to be discontinued in the near future. I'm not sure when they released the XS night sights model but I think it's relatively new (I'd not heard of it until recently, at least - if anyone knows when it was released I'd be appreciative of that information).

Of course the PDP45 could be a thing (let's pray). When that happens I do expect the PPQ45 to be cut.

$2,000 LNIB PPQ45's by next Christmas? Only if the dollar loses half it's value between now and then (which might not be a terrible bet if we stay on this track... :eek::oops::eek: )

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I haven't checked every last gunbroker ad, but I believe the price increase is partly because of the (new?) SKU with factory installed tritium night sights. Part of it is also the general state of the economy - suddenly my $$$ isn't go nearly as far anywhere and everything remotely desirable seems to be MSRP or higher.

Do you have a citation/link/reference to when you heard these were being discontinued in 2021?

I remain highly skeptical that the PPQ45 is to be discontinued in the near future. I'm not sure when they released the XS night sights model but I think it's relatively new (I'd not heard of it until recently, at least - if anyone knows when it was released I'd be appreciative of that information).

Of course the PDP45 could be a thing (let's pray). When that happens I do expect the PPQ45 to be cut.

$2,000 LNIB PPQ45's by next Christmas? Only if the dollar loses half it's value between now and then (which might not be a terrible bet if we stay on this track... :eek::oops::eek: )

You can find several just general "The PPQ is being discontinued" articles as well with quotes from them, and also quotes that they wont be making any more .45's, they came AFTER the PDP was released. And honestly, I think you might be surprised, aside from revolvers .45 is pretty much dead and gone aside from a few specialty guns (honestly can't even think of one). The nightsight model has been out for a while, they just mixed up the SKU's, it was originally using the same SKU as another version (can't remember off the top of my head) before they fixed it, plus you can just buy some nightsights I mean, it doesn't seem like something that would change much. The new batch that just came out seemed to be mostly regular old .45 M2's with no night sights and some of the gunbroker ones DO have nightsights (either from before this batch or because people just switched out the sights for these: F8 Tritium Night Sights Sig 365's use them as well. Nothing too special imo.

The model with the nightsights has been around since late 2016/2017, the SKU mixup makes it seem like a new model, it is not.

From what it sounds like they are officially done with .40's and .45's, 9mm only from here on out. Gonna order the threaded .45 barrel tonight. They have a regular non-thread one for $100 or polygonal threaded for 210 or something, guess I'll go polygonal

·
Registered
707 Posts
I didn't do a deep read through all 5 pages so pardon me if I missed something critical, but I didn't see anything remotely close to official word in that thread.

I don't mean to besmirch the OP of the linked thread, but a 2nd hand account of what an unnamed customer service representative said doesn't seem like compelling evidence.

It's been over a year since the thread was started... and not really any update since... and there are plenty of seemingly new PPQ45s in the pipeline.

I googled "PPQ 45 Discontinued" and got zero hits. Duck Duck Go wasn't much better but it did link to your forum thread.

Where is the PPQ 45 being discontinued being discussed outside of speculation on these forums?

Not trying to be argumentative, just in a search for cold, hard facts. Walther pistols have this weird reputation for the tales of their demise being greatly exaggerated - so I'm a skeptic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I didn't do a deep read through all 5 pages so pardon me if I missed something critical, but I didn't see anything remotely close to official word in that thread.

I don't mean to besmirch the OP of the linked thread, but a 2nd hand account of what an unnamed customer service representative doesn't seem like compelling evidence.

It's been over a year since the thread was started... and not really any update since... and there are plenty of seemingly new PPQ45s in the pipeline.

I googled "PPQ 45 Discontinued" and got zero hits. Duck Duck Go wasn't much better but it did link to your forum thread.

Where is the PPQ 45 being discontinued being discussed outside of speculation on these forums?

No trying to be argumentative, just in a search for cold, hard facts. Walther pistols have this weird reputation for the tales of their demise being greatly exaggerated so I'm a skeptic.
Well, I've checked gun.deals literally every day for the past three years for .45PPQ's, I have it bookmarked as well as a reminder on my cell, not a single shipment from late 2018 to now. I think this was just a last run tbh. But time will tell. I don't expect a PDP .45, especially with LE contracts all going 9mm and then switching to AR's in almost all cars if the carry gun isn't enough, it's not needed. Dude on a recent police bodycam made a 100yrd shot with a 9mm PDP with a red dot on a moving target. Glock is just Glock, they suck and look like shit, and haven't changed a thing since 1996 or whenever. Basically all identical unless you spend 2K "TaranTacitaling" it out, and even all his stuff is sold out 98% of the time because he caters to big time people, us Plebs might see 2K "sold out" but someone else is tossing him 10-20K and saying "IDGAF just give it to me. I spend more than this on dinner every week" and he's not gonna turn that down.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a .45 PDP, I just don't think it's going to happen, so I'm treating this .45 PPQ M2 I got for less than $570 brand new in box as kind of a collectors item until proven otherwise (yes Im going to shoot it, just not 300rds on a range day, maybe a mag or 2). I'm also buying up the Taurus 17rd extended mags, have a feeling those are heading out for the regular extended mags.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well, I've checked gun.deals literally every day for the past three years for .45PPQ's, I have it bookmarked as well as a reminder on my cell, not a single shipment from late 2018 to now. I think this was just a last run tbh. But time will tell. I don't expect a PDP .45, especially with LE contracts all going 9mm and then switching to AR's in almost all cars if the carry gun isn't enough, it's not needed. Dude on a recent police bodycam made a 100yrd shot with a 9mm PDP with a red dot on a moving target. Glock is just Glock, they suck and look like shit, and haven't changed a thing since 1996 or whenever. Basically all identical unless you spend 2K "TaranTacitaling" it out, and even all his stuff is sold out 98% of the time because he caters to big time people, us Plebs might see 2K "sold out" but someone else is tossing him 10-20K and saying "IDGAF just give it to me. I spend more than this on dinner every week" and he's not gonna turn that down.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a .45 PDP, I just don't think it's going to happen, so I'm treating this .45 PPQ M2 I got for less than $570 brand new in box as kind of a collectors item until proven otherwise (yes Im going to shoot it, just not 300rds on a range day, maybe a mag or 2). I'm also buying up the Taurus 17rd extended mags, have a feeling those are heading out for the regular extended mags.
What about this one with a 2020 proof? I guess gun.deals didn't catch that?

·
Administrator
3,394 Posts

I don't mean to besmirch the OP of the linked thread, but a 2nd hand account of what an unnamed customer service representative said doesn't seem like compelling evidence.

Not trying to be argumentative, just in a search for cold, hard facts. Walther pistols have this weird reputation for the tales of their demise being greatly exaggerated - so I'm a skeptic.
When the PDP came out, Walther was open about the polymer PPQs being phased out. However, they said the PPQ45 was an exception and would remain in production for some time.

When asked about a new 45acp Model, Walther said probably not due to declining sales figures for 45acp handguns in general.

I've not read anything explicitly about the PPQ45 being discontinued. Perhaps it has been but I've not seen or heard anything official about that.

A possible explanation is that the PPQ45s, like the P99s, are being produced in small and infrequent production runs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
What about this one with a 2020 proof? I guess gun.deals didn't catch that?

I don't think gun.deals spiders auction sites, only retail. So yeah, they definitely would have missed that. No biggie though I already got a .45 threaded and a 9mm threaded lined up for the PPQs and also a 9mm Lakeline for the TaurusG3C I just wish some damn TORO G3C conversion kits would come in stock. Lakeline started selling packs now, like this: Gold Tactical Package for the 9mm Taurus G3X, G3C, G2C, PT111 G2 and G3C TORO instead of just the barrel, but I can't mill it on for the non-Toro slide in case it takes off too much to fit the TORO slide. I ordered one already though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When the PDP came out, Walther was open about the polymer PPQs being phased out. However, they said the PPQ45 was an exception and would remain in production for some time.

When asked about a new 45acp Model, Walther said probably not due to declining sales figures for 45acp handguns in general.

I've not read anything explicitly about the PPQ45 being discontinued. Perhaps it has been but I've not seen or heard anything official about that.

A possible explanation is that the PPQ45s, like the P99s, are being produced in small and infrequent production runs.
This article quotes Walther that all PPQ's are being discontinued, I do remember the official announcement, I can probably dig around and find it, I believe it was on Twitter or from Shotshow or something like that:

"In mid-2021, Walther released its new PDP (Personal Defense Pistol) in three sizes (4 inch, 4.5 inch, and 5 inch barrels) and announced that they would be discontinuing the PPQ and offering the PDP pistols as a replacement line" Walther is Replacing its PPQ with the PDP: Comparison of Pistols

·
Registered
707 Posts
I don't know how often PPQ45s were manufactured but I can't recall a time where they weren't available pre-covid. I found that 2020 example in 60 seconds. Not quite bored enough to see if 2018's or 2019s exist (although my curiosity is piqued...)

My prediction is in line with Jimmos in that PPQ45s aren't explicitly discontinued and are eligible (and perhaps likely) for periodic production runs.

Could be dead wrong. But I like to think I'm always right ;)

Anyways. I think buying PPQ45s and accessories is awesome... I just can't endorse stockpiling this stuff right now if it is with the expectation that it will rapidly increase in value. I don't see it - not in my crystal ball at least. Your crystal ball might be working better than mine though....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know how often PPQ45s were manufactured but I can't recall a time where they weren't available pre-covid. I found that 2020 example in 60 seconds. Not quite bored enough to see if 2018's or 2019s exist (although my curiosity is piqued...)

My prediction is in line with Jimmos in that PPQ45s aren't explicitly discontinued and are eligible (and perhaps likely) for periodic production runs.

Could be dead wrong. But I like to think I'm always right ;)

Anyways. I think buying PPQ45s and accessories is awesome... I just can't endorse stockpiling this stuff right now if it is with the expectation that it will rapidly increase in value. I don't see it - not in my crystal ball at least. Your crystal ball might be working better than mine though....
Well I wasn't going to stockpile the guns, 11 12rd mags is chump change, and I'm already seeing them for 10-$20 more than what I'd pay. Yeah Im talking about right around when Covid started, maybe a month or two before, they disappeared everywhere except Gunbroker until about a week ago.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts